Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Help starting 2F Engine.....

My son & I have a project FJ40 which is a combo of 1973 body, 1978 frame and 2F engine with Aisan Carb PN 21100-61024, OEM Distributor (19100-61100) and aftermarket Coil, but no ignitor pack. We tried starting it the other day and it would only backfire occasionally but never started. I have attempted to desmog as much as possible but not exactly sure I did all of the correct things on carb.

Questions:

1) Are the all-in-one HEI Distributor/Coils a good way to go or should I stick with OEM Distributor?

2) Not sure how to wire distributor to coil since I dont have the stock coil/ignitor? Do I need an ignitor pack?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff (303-330-5663)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

If its backfiring you're getting ignition. I'm not familiar enough with factory pn's to tell you what you have. If you don't have an igniter and it is backfiring you likely have a points setup.

Hei is nice but remember that it is slapped together to fit your Yota. If you have had your dizzy out, I would make sure that it is inserted correctly. It sounds like the timing is way off.

Check your points gap

Most hei units I've seen aren't water proof like the stocker Toyota. Hope this gets you started down the right path
Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

'78 will not have points but should have a coil. (I think)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Check you firing order. Kinda sounds like you maybe 180 off... Just a guess
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

1978 stock distributor is an electronic and will require an igniter. Pop the top on the distributor to confirm if it is points or electronic. I may have an extra igniter in my parts stash.

You could also make one using the information in this thread.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

In my expereince the HEI units available for the 2F are well designed and not just "slapped together". I ran one in my 2F for years and it was trouble free. If you buy one made specifically for a 2F like the unit sold by DUI, it is designed and built specifically for that engine. The feeling that some of the early HEI units were slapped together resulted from people taking distributors built for Chevy 6's and dropping them in. They would fit but the angle on the gear teeth was slightly off and would eventually grenade. The new ones do not have that problem.

The nice thing about the HEI units is they are simple to install (1 ignition switched 12V wire) and the cap and internal parts can be bought at any parts store in the US since they are GM components. They also give you a very hot spark which allows you to run a larger gap on your spark plugs. This will help in an older engine where compression might be down a little and will help minimize plug fouling. Due to the newer design they are less prone to shorting out if they get wet. I used to power wash my 2F directly and it would always start right up.

The down side is they are pricey. If you are trying to keep your rig authentic then stay with the proper OEM ignition setup. That system works fine when installed properly and the components are in good shape. If your distributor is worn out or you are going to have to spend a fair amount to find replacement parts, I would not hesitate to go with an HEI unit.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang