Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Lifted

Default Programming Colorado Connection on the Baofeng UV-5R

Running into a little trouble here and not sure if it's just the crappy radio... Or the crappy operator.

I'm following the instructions from this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlAck2SdrM

And trying to program the Colorado Connection repeater(s) for Denver and Boulder here:
http://www.colcon.org/repeaters.html

I see that the Denver/Boulder and Denver repeaters are only different in their CTCSS tones... So, if I am in Louisville, so I program for 100 Hz or 123 Hz... And if I program in 100 Hz for when I am up in Boulder County, do I have to change it for when I am in Denver?

I am getting some spotty signals at this point. I think I am hearing the station identification every so often and some really spotty transmissions other than that. Just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or just running into the limitations of a $45 HT.

Thanks for helping out a VERY new HAM. And I promise to get a decent radio as the funds allow.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Running into a little trouble here and not sure if it's just the crappy radio... Or the crappy operator.

both. Or more accurately, crappy radio and you just haven't put tons of hours into the hobby yet. Not sure the hours spent on programming the Baofeng are worth the investment though.. if you had a Yaesu HT you'd be chatting with Far in Vail by now. At any rate, read through the Baofeng thread I started.. i think i covered most of the shortcomings I encountered with programming. In the end I fought my way through and have a program that's fairly good, though I still can't seem to hit the 145.310 reliably for some reason. I honestly lost interest in trying to do better... as I have other radios and the Baofeng was really just a toy and most likely simplex only.

Let's hook up sometime, I'll pump your UV-5R up with what I created, at least you'll have something else in common with everyone else who's got one so when someone cracks the code to the CC we'll all be able to make the same adjustment. for the simplex channels, CM channels, and FRS channels, it's pretty solid and worth the 2 minutes it takes to fire up the laptop.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

I guess I'm confused, what is the problem with the Baofeng and the Connection? Is it not shifting right or adding the sub tone? There's nothing special about how the Connection works from a repeater standpoint. There is some weirdness in coverage in and around Boulder, so are you running into the problem of trying to use the RX-only radio for Boulder?

To get this straight, the Colorado Connection in town runs at 145.310 MHz, -0.6 MHz shift and 123. 0Hz tone. So the radio on Mt. Thorodin is listening at 144.610 MHz and expects a 123.0 Hz tone. It transmits on 145.310 and includes a 123.0 Hz tone. This should be your 'normal' programming.

However, in Boulder and surrounding area there is very poor to nonexistent coverage due to the radio shadow. Mt Thorodin is west of Boulder. You can usually hear 145.310 MHz because the repeater is running a liberated GE repeater with a 4-bay folded dipole array. It's a very good station, good power and very even pattern. But the signal you transmit in Boulder (particularly on HTs and mobiles, home stations with towers are often fine) is not as good and beyond the ability of the station to hear. So there is a radio that listens at 145.310 and re-transmits your signal to the Connection. This radio has a 100 Hz tone squelch so that when you're using it you don't break the system by having two radios trying to open the links. This radio has more limited and uneven coverage itself, so only use it if you cannot use the main frequency.

Just store two Denver/Boulder memories for the CCR. One is normal and the other Boulder radio shadow area. Does this present a problem to the Baofeng?

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Lifted

I used this when I first got my radio and just substituted my freqs/channel. I wised up and got CHIRP working soon after.

Make sure you aren't missing any steps. This radio is weird because you have to "program" both XMIT and RCV.

Sorry for crappy quality...tinypic is blocked at work, so I took pic with my phone & uploaded that.

Doesn't seem like the IMG tags are working...here's the URL if it doesn't show up: http://i39.tinypic.com/67qizb.jpg

Last edited by daveIT; 06-11-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: IMG not working?