Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

I keep one eye on Pinecam.com at all times for just that reason. Folks monitor the scanners and post up immediately, in a separate forum, no chit-chat, just real and official info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
A dilemma for land managers:
-Regular fires are good for thinning out forests and preventing overgrowth.
-People don't like fires.
-A history of subduing fires has caused excessive overgrowth to the extent that fires today burn hotter, faster, and are more destructive than historical fires.
-People live in forested and grassy plains areas where fire fighting resources are not readily available.
-Changing climate is having a terrible and measurable impact, whether drought, flooding, warming, even cooling... former normals are no longer normal. While we may 'return to mean', if that mean is actually a slope, and it appears to be, the return to mean will be a new normal in flux. The costs will be extreme, and felt by everyone.

This fire is truly heartbreaking
Fixed it for ya.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Wincher

From one fire riddled state to another, my heart goes out to all those affected by this massive fire. We've heard all the resource debate here in CA also and the costs of 'renting' the planes from Canada too. Stay safe.
'94 White LC; Kaymar Rear Bumper w/tire carrier; Hanna Sliders; ARB winch ready Front Bumper; Slee Transfer Case Skid Plate; BFG MT KM2 285's, OME 850/863 Heavy 2" lift, INTI Rack; Warn M12000 Winch, Snorkel; Sputnik!, M101CDN
TLCA Member #13420; KI6SGO
Old 06-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

We got a little rain this afternoon, I hope some touched down in BF. I have 3 friends that have had total loss, add that to my 9 friends last year and that's a lot of folks having their world turned up side down. One couple who lost it all last summer moved to BF and is currently evac'd waiting to hear what list they are on... sad.

IMHO, the response this year was awesome, the gov' had a tier one team in place in 1 day! That's fast if you ask me. It's not faster than fire moving through treetops but it IS fast. I heard first reported call on Tuesday and the fire was already at 15 acres... in 30mph sustained winds and upper 90 degree temps.

The spokesman on the news talked about how they will win the war once the fire meets a road and or grass, they talked about how it is nearly impossible to stop it raging once it is in the canopy of trees.

God bless the firefighters... these folks are TOUGH!

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like they are letting some folks back in. 400 homes lost. Things appear to be under control with some mopping up yet to do.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Lifted

While we are being political, at least one of our representatives seems to be paying attention to the need for more resources and actively trying to improve things:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/1...ldfire-season/

I follow Senator Udall on Twitter and he's been trying to get something done about this since way before last summer.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post

Is it just me or does it seem stupid, yeah stupid, that the minute they get a report of a fire like this that the don't immediately fire up a couple tankers etc to go try to douse the thing? If I understand it correctly the fire started Tuesday early afternoon but it wasn't until Wednesday late morning, almost noon, before they started air support. WTF?
Even with a fleet of tankers (which no govt, federal or state, can afford) they wouldn't be able to take off with the winds cranking the way they were the first day if this fire. There are procedural/safety things in play there.
KDGWM
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Really windy in Denver tonight. hope not the same in CO Springs. Heard they had rain this later afternoon
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

We were let back home yesterday - zero damage, no smoke/water/freezer issues. The power had gone off for a few hours, I have determined. We have power now, but no natural gas. I borrowed a 15 gal. elec water heater today from a neighbor and plumbed it in where my washing machine hoses tap into the system. Works great, but not much capacity. This was my father's day gift to myself: a hot shower.

It was cool-ish today and we got .15" of rain (total) in two installments - I'm sure it rained over the burn area.

The gas company guy we met yesterday said they have to isolate all the gas legs with melted plastic gas pipe on them and then replumb around them to let us get gas. This could take a while. There's a huge fleet of Black Hills energy trucks parked in the Black Forest - perhaps 20 were parked and many were in the field. Those guys are working long shifts.
Steve
Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad to hear y'all are doing so well. Too many can't say the same. thanks to all the firefighters who work hard to save so much. It must kill them each time a structure goes down. Anxious to hear from the rest of our Springs crew!

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab

"Apollo"-1988, 2001 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: SAS, Duals.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great to hear that Steve, sure could have been alot worse.