Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Rock Stacker

Default 1984 FJ45 Troop Carrier

Hello Folks. I'm new to the the site. I have a 1984 FJ45 Troop Carrier Project without a wiring harness, engine/transmission. Chances of somebody having an original wiring harness for this vehicle in Colorado and the U.S. is probably zero. However, I'm looking for a later model FJ40 wiring harness that could be modified, or other ideas that you may have for a wiring harness. My plan is to run a 2F in the vehicle.

thanks

Tim
Old 03-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

From the gas tank & forward, your harness is the same as a late 40 harness. The only difference behind that should be length of the tail light wires. If just get a late 40 harness & add a segment if wire to lengthen it. I bet you could find an OEM harness from one of the exotics companies, but it won't be worth the cost they are asking.
Best
Abe
Old 03-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Is it an FJ-45, or an HJ-45/47?

If it's an FJ-45, then for sure just find a good FJ-40 harness and call it good. There's nothing ahead of the panel line behind the front door that's different.

As Abe said: lengthen it if you need. There's only maybe 10 wires that run that far back anyway.

If it's an HJ flavor, then you are looking for an HJ harness, but if it were me I'd find an FJ-40 harness, lengthen the rear of it, and modify it for the diesel. There aren't all that many changes, really.

Dan
Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Rock Stacker

Dan,

It's an FJ45. It has no wiring harness and no engine, but I have about everything else. I bought it from Virginia last fall. My plan is a 2F. In terms of the FJ40 harness, should I look for a late model (79-83) or will it matter? vs. 71 Harness?

I'm sure there were some changes each year, so modification would probably have to occur with switches/connectors and length.

Additionally, do you know if there's anyone local (Denver Area) that would help modify the harness. I could pay for the service.

thanks again

Tim
Old 03-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Rock Stacker

Dan,

There's a wiring harness for a 78 on ebay. Do you think it's a good starting point? Additionally, cruiser parts has some as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-...9aaf1e&vxp=mtr

thanks

Tim
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

A Troopie is a nice rig. Post up some pics of what you have.

I would not fret too much about the wiring harness until you have the engine. As you source the engine, it would be great if you could also get all the accessories including the engine portion of the wiring - with the connectors. If you are going with a 2F, I would look for an 84+ FJ60 donor for the engine.

This link is to Coolermans web site. He has a web store with many of the connectors and may even still be able to build a full wiring harness. It has been a while since I read up on the details regarding how much work he is taking on in this area. Give it a read and reach out to Coolerman.

While an OEM harness in good shape would be ideal. I would not discount the use of new generic wiring harness, like a painless generic. This would give you a clean start and has been successfully used in the 40 series. Some may say it is more work, but if the ideal OEM harness can not be sourced - it will work.

For the drive train, an H55 would be very sweet. As the rig is an 84, I would expect the rear axles have provisions for a parking brake. Presuming this is the case, you should be able to use an H55, H41 or H42 with a split t-case out of a 60 series.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMathewson View Post
Dan,

There's a wiring harness for a 78 on ebay. Do you think it's a good starting point? Additionally, cruiser parts has some as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-...9aaf1e&vxp=mtr

thanks

Tim
It would be a good starting point, but at that price??? I don't think I've ever paid more than $125 for a complete harness.

I'll echo Ricardo's comments. And I wouldn't necessarily focus on the harness until you find the engine. In general, the later model harness would be best--but a lot of that depends on the engine you put in, and how smogged it is.

Dan
Old 04-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks Dan and Ricardo for the guidance. In terms of purchasing a 2F, Cruiser Solutions, Cruiser Parts and SOR have engines. I noticed Cruiser Solution has serviced engines. Any throughts on a direction here. I will be posting pics later this week.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I bought a used engine and junkyard transmission/t-case to swap into my 40. The output shaft on the tranny was severely worn and I bought another used transmission. The engine developed a coolant leak (there was a crack that had been repaired on the side of the block) after a few months. I sourced a good block and rebuilt the engine. It was a great learning experience. The rebuilt engine and drivetrain were much better than the tired F engine and 3 speed they replaced.

In a situation like yours (no engine, no wiring, no transmission, no tcase, assuming no drive shafts, assuming axles will need service), I would seriously look at sourcing an FJ60/62 with a solid engine/drivetrain and terrible body. With this approach, you would start with knowing the condition of the major components and have all of the working pieces to swap over. You will still have issues, i.e. drive shaft lengths may need to be changed - but you are not having to buy parts in pieces and then having the additional expenses that pop-up, i.e. you get a tranny but then have to buy a clutch kit or you have an engine, but now have to buy accessories (dizzy, igniter, carburetor, etc.).
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941