Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM
PabloCruise's Avatar
PabloCruise PabloCruise is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,756
Default

I just finished reading about AimCO's thread about an ARB not working, and it got me thinking. I got the disc brake front axle w/ ARB that is under the Pig from FJBen when he flopped his Pig in Walden at the photo shoot for the FJ Cruiser prototype. I don't remember exactly when that was, but it was before we got pregnant w/ Cash, so I want to think it was ~2005?

My point is that I have not cycled that ARB since I got it. My main concern was getting the Pig up and running. Now that I have that mostly taken care of, what should I do to the ARB when I shuffle all the axles and thirds around?

I'm sure someone has a good ARB rebuild thread out there, I am just puttering around on the phone this morning...

Thanks y'all!
__________________
TJS

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,197
Default

Every ARB issue I have first hand eyeball knowledge of (lots) has been something to do with air.

Yes, that was February 2005 - I set that up when the PR company called me. Got Robbie the job as one of the first Trail Team members.
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
PabloCruise's Avatar
PabloCruise PabloCruise is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Every ARB issue I have first hand eyeball knowledge of (lots) has been something to do with air. Yes, that was February 2005 - I set that up when the PR company called me. Got Robbie the job as one of the first Trail Team members.
Feb of '05, that sucker has been inactive for 9 years!
__________________
TJS

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM
PabloCruise's Avatar
PabloCruise PabloCruise is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,756
Default

Still thinking about this... At first I thought I would put the 60 knuckles and brakes under the 40, along w/ the ARB, but I am thinking that the Pig is defintely heavier than the 40 and might benefit from having the 60 brakes instead, plus the steering arms from a 60 are probably more appropriate for a 55 (thinking back to that article in the TT about Ackerman Angle from a few years back).

Thoughts?
__________________
TJS

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,515
Default

Aren't the steering arms the same on 60s, late 40s and mini trucks?
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 AM
PabloCruise's Avatar
PabloCruise PabloCruise is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Aren't the steering arms the same on 60s, late 40s and mini trucks?
Not sure, I just thought those 60 arms may be a better match for the Pig vs. Being on the 40...
__________________
TJS

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,515
Default

So look at it this way. Take a 1974 pig and a 1974 FJ40. The steering arms are interchangeable (I believe, but I'm not a pig guru). So Toyota didn't see a need to have differing Ackerman angles from the factory. Toyota also used the same brakes for 40s and 55s throughout their respective production runs.

At the end of the day with 33" tires on your 40 I doubt there is really much risk of breaking anything and really benefitting from the "larger" 60 series brakes, steering arms and Aisin lockouts vs. your Warns. In that case the easiest thing to do is leave things the way they are, maybe swap the ARB if you feel the 40 is going to see trails that would need a front locker.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about a good way of servicing the 60 series power steering components down the road on my own rig, and am pretty well convinced that the easiest/best thing for future maintenance will be to swap in 60 series knuckles and arms and get a new steering relay rod and all new 60 series TREs. That way I can buy a full set of 60 series TREs/rebuild kit and be done with it. Currently I would have to buy a 60/70 series TRE rebuild kit (and only use half of it) and three 40 series TREs (if I remember right and my memory is already getting fuzzy on this topic) if and when I ever have to replace the TREs on my rig. So in that instance maybe you really want 60 series components on BOTH rigs.
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-25-2014, 02:24 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Still thinking about this... At first I thought I would put the 60 knuckles and brakes under the 40, along w/ the ARB, but I am thinking that the Pig is defintely heavier than the 40 and might benefit from having the 60 brakes instead, plus the steering arms from a 60 are probably more appropriate for a 55 (thinking back to that article in the TT about Ackerman Angle from a few years back).

Thoughts?
Another couple of thoughts in addition to my post above:
-I have heard of a V6 caliper swap that can be done for increased stopping power. I would have to research to see if that applies to 40s as well as 60s or if there was a year cutoff or what.

-I know at some point the front axle design details changed, specifically I am thinking about what Mark Algazy mentioned years ago at Cruise Moab how earlier axle housings had the welds ground down and later axle housings Toyota stopped doing that and the result was a stronger axle housing. All of this has me thinking that you should avoid putting the 74 axle under the 78 40, though I imagine both axles are the same design by that point. But maybe not. I can't remember what the "early" vs. "late" cutoff was in the Mark A. discussion, but we were busy trying to repair his '64 LWB pickup's front axle that had suffered a cracked housing due to the afore-mentioned ground-down welds. Luckily Kurt was there with his trailer so Mark's LWB could be towed to Moab and repaired with a real welder instead of the daisy-chain battery affair we took a shot with which promptly cracked as soon as it was let back down to the ground.
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 PM
DanS's Avatar
DanS DanS is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho Springs
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Another couple of thoughts in addition to my post above:
-I have heard of a V6 caliper swap that can be done for increased stopping power. I would have to research to see if that applies to 40s as well as 60s or if there was a year cutoff or what.
Applies to FJ-40, 55, 60, 70 series cruisers with leaf springs, and solid axle mini trucks.

As long as you've got disc brake knuckles, you can upgrade to the V6 IFS calipers. All it takes is a little trimming of the backing plate, and maybe some grinding on the fins of the caliper to clear stock wheels (if you've got them).

Super easy, I can't tell much of a difference, but the V6 IFS calipers are still available from Toyota, and I would expect those to remain in production for quite some time at reasonable rates.

Works so well that I just trim the backing plates any time I have them off, because whenever I rebuild a front axle I try to make the swap, and even if I don't, I will soon enough.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 AM
PabloCruise's Avatar
PabloCruise PabloCruise is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Applies to FJ-40, 55, 60, 70 series cruisers with leaf springs, and solid axle mini trucks. As long as you've got disc brake knuckles, you can upgrade to the V6 IFS calipers. All it takes is a little trimming of the backing plate, and maybe some grinding on the fins of the caliper to clear stock wheels (if you've got them). Super easy, I can't tell much of a difference, but the V6 IFS calipers are still available from Toyota, and I would expect those to remain in production for quite some time at reasonable rates. Works so well that I just trim the backing plates any time I have them off, because whenever I rebuild a front axle I try to make the swap, and even if I don't, I will soon enough. Dan
Are these calipers from a V6 IFS 4Runner? What year do you buy when you do this mod?
__________________
TJS

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.