Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Just got Apple TV

Nakman- you were right

freakin' awesome. Watching youtube of Annoying orange on 40" -Sweet!!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM

We've had one for years and haven't paid the cable company since. It's great!
KEŘITH
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

stock or modified?
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Oem
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, we ditched cable two years ago and haven't looked back. Apple TV all the way.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 PM

Please elaborate. My wife and I talked about it a while back and it didn't seem a viable replacement.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm tied to Direct TV as a Packer Fan. That or a $75 bar bill each week. But if not I'd be there with you guys.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

AppleTV is a cool thing. I remember when I got my first AppleTV way back in '08...

!!

To elaborate. AppleTV is kind of like an iPod for videos. Streaming videos from many different sources. Netflix, sports channels, youtube hulu and vimeo just to name a few. All you really need is a computer with iTunes, a wireless network and internet access. Just to put it into my perspective. When I first considered AppleTV, I just thought "wow, now the wife and I don't have to get up to put the movies in the DVD player, and the library of all our movies is at our fingertips!". I was sold. Now you just need a friend with a hard drive and some time...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
Please elaborate. My wife and I talked about it a while back and it didn't seem a viable replacement.
We have a $40 digital antenna for local channels. Rarely watch it, but I do watch the Bronco games in the fall, and it's full HD. Our kids have a few shows they like, all of which are on demand through Netflix. We have one Netflix account that can be accessed from either of our phones, either of our ipads, our Apple TV, our Blueray player, and our Xbox. Even simultaneously, watching different things.. . for $10/month. What's interesting is that since it's more of an event to watch something, it almost never comes up- our TV upstairs is inside a closed armoir, and even our kids go weeks on end now without asking to watch something.

We also have a Hulu account for more current TV. I literally only care about one show- wife watches about 2-3, and we watch that almost exclusively on the ipad from bed. Usually on the bed, while we fold laundry.

Only downside is the Nuggets are on Altitude, so there's no basketball in our house. I used to like watching basketball, but it's sorta just lived without me for the last few years, don't really miss it. Once our kids are older and more independent, maybe I'll get back into professional sports again but for now it's almost not even on the radar.

Finally, we pay Pandora $4/month for no commercials, and run that in the house probably 4 hours/day- it's what we turn on when we get home, and it stays on until we go to bed. Again one account for multiple phones & devices even at the same time. Can't believe we used to pay $80 for tv..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, we ditched pay TV years ago. The only thing I miss is CU football, but I just listen to it on the radio while doing other stuff. Or since we save several hundred dollars a year not paying for TV we will occasionally just get tickets and actually go to games.

Another option if you're not into Apple is the Roku. That is what we went with when we set up our streaming. We recently cut off Netflix but still have Amazon Prime. It also does Hulu, YouTube, etc. I have an application running on it that allows me to stream iTunes content to it as though it were an Apple TV.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler