Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've been on the fence with that for a long time. I only have cable for the internet, though I "think" I get some local channels with it. Doesn't matter, the resolution was so crappy, I use the $15 HDTV rabbit ears style antenna for local channels and it's fine.
For movies, I had Netflix that I would watch on the tv through a tether. Netflix started to irritate me (lost current episodes of AMC shows) so I dumped it.
We still have Amazon prime, but figured out they block streaming to a tethered ipad/iphone, which is shocking really. So...
A standard Apple TV will NOT stream Amazon prime. If you hack it, you can, but that's it. Research Apple TV 1 & 2, and you'll quickly find these older units sell for quite the premium because they can be hacked.
I really don't know much about Roku, but need to spend some time researching it before I throw down on an Apple TV2 that's only capable of 720P. I would suspect a hack for ATV 3 rev 1 is coming soon, but rev 2 was just released in March, and that sent all the hackers back to ground zero.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

We have the older Roku XD, which supports 1080p HD. It also supports subscription sports, MLB.TV for example, which streams all MLB games live for $100 a year. it does the NBA and NHL live streams. It does Vudu, Crackle (which is free movies), Disney, etc.

A lot the pay channels have Roku channels but most of the content is ancillary to the main channel, not the actual stuff. I think the next step will be for all the cable channels to start offering per-channel subscriptions on streaming, but until the contractual model changes with pay TV most of it will be locked up with cable and satellite. Their loss. It's not like people who ditch cable are going to go back just for The Walking Dead. But if AMC offered a $5 streaming option, maybe. Same with Discovery Channel, I'd consider adding that to our Roku for a few bucks a month. But I'm not gonna pay $50 a month to get 5 channels that I actual want.

It's like music, all the record labels screwed themselves with the Internet and streaming and now artists are finding avenues to bypass the bullplop and sell their records and downloads directly to fans. They end up getting more money from each sale since there is no A&R man, distribution overhead and the bloated label guys.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I with the others in this thread that get stuck on the few months a year where I want to watch a college football or basketball game. It's basically access to ESPN that keeps me buying cable. Lame. I'd be interested in hearing the options for that if anyone has figured it out. Or is that a different thread? :shrug:
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Or mooch a friend not enlightened yet who still pays for TV. ;-)

Seriously, I do wish the Pac 12 Network was available streaming. Heck, even on normal days I wish they'd get with the times and offer a way to follow your teams via streaming. Since the Buffs usually stink they end up with one game on ESPN anyway.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

^Before kids, yes. Now I have to pick my battles/passes.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
^Before kids, yes. Now I have to pick my battles/passes.
Another good point. Last time I tried to get Bridger to sit on a bar stool through a game that failed miserably.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

So, what does this apple TV cost monthly? We ditched cable years ago, but have just had Netflix, nothing else. And, is it just a way to watch interwebs on your TV? As in, no different than hooking up a computer to the TV?

I'm intrigued.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Looked at AppleTV a while back, but without any live TV support, or access to the networks in general it was a total non-starter. I have been using MythTV for about 10 years and love it. I have a half dozen HDTV front ends everywhere from the master B/R, shop, gazebo, you name it. All my music and videos online and live TV using a tuner with a cable smart card. It's all open source and I've never seen a commercial product that compares feature-wise.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
So, what does this apple TV cost monthly? We ditched cable years ago, but have just had Netflix, nothing else. And, is it just a way to watch interwebs on your TV? As in, no different than hooking up a computer to the TV?

I'm intrigued.
Apple TV and Roku cost upfront for the box itself, not sure about Apple but figure about $75 or $100 for a current Roku. That is a one time expense for the hardware and it sits on your WiFi as another device.

The content varies. YouTube is free, just like the Interwebs. If you already have Netflix you can add streaming for I think about $7 per month then you get access to whatever they have available. That can be played on the box, your computer or iPad.

Other things vary. We have Amazon Prime, which is $79 per year and includes streaming of about 400 movies and TV, not super extensive but alright. Amazon Prime is nice because you get 2 day shipping for free for the whole year on most everything and they offer cheap shipping upgrade to overnight. In fact I bought a trailer hitch for our Taco from Amazon and they shipped that monster, all 42 lbs of it for $3.99 overnight FedEx. Seriously, it probably cost them more to ship it than we paid.

Other things, like I mentioned the MLB.TV, are a per month or per year purchase. Some of it is free, like Crackle, but every once in a while they stick in an ad or two. Hulu is free or you can pay for Hulu Plus for more extensive and current selections.

Beyond that Apple via iTunes and Amazon offer content you can buy or rent. Like a movie might be $1.99 or something like that. Same with TV, you might buy it by the episode or get a season subscription.

So, bottom line, once you've bought the box you can theoretically be done with the expense but your selection is limited. It's not impossible to do that, but you probably will end up paying something eventually. The nice thing is you can pick and choose a' la carte.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I thought Myth TV was a TiVO replacement, e.g. a DVR. Does it give you access to content or do you still need to find that?