Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
When looking at 100's I would stay away from any with IFS or the 4.7. The others should be fine!
True... Likewise, if you're looking at 80's stay away from the ones with the mini truck front diff's and the bus transmissions
TLCA#4180
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew,

Prices are coming down, so I would suggest looking at an '03 and up to what you can afford if you end up looking at a 100.

Having driven the Atrac with and without a rear locker, I would choose a newer year with a 5 speed ('03 first year of 5 speed), that way when you add a locker you have the best of both worlds. You are never going to be able to add Atrac, as far as I know. 98-99 came with a rear locker but 4 speed. I have an 01 with Atrac no locker yet. 00 has the tranny issue at about 100-120K miles, so if you find one with more miles, maybe it is ok.

Front Diffs are weaker on the 98-99s so you gotta fix that soon. Not much better but a little stronger in the 00-newer.

Headers crack, so you will need to replace that on just about any year you buy but the DT headers are in my opinion, one of the best mods, more power.

You can add Soul when you get one..

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 06-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Agreed Isaac, and you're spot on about likely not finding the limits of IFS on a normal mountain pass. But approach, departure, and break-over angles are all worse on a 100 series compared to an 80. So plan on dragging a lot Drew, if you get into some bigger stuff.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Agreed Isaac, and you're spot on about likely not finding the limits of IFS on a normal mountain pass. But approach, departure, and break-over angles are all worse on a 100 series compared to an 80. So plan on dragging a lot Drew, if you get into some bigger stuff.
Or...drag a 60 across Moab a couple times and the 100 will feel like your 40.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

LOL!

On the point about soul, I hear people throw that around a lot, and I agree. Old cars have soul. What that means is, you have to spend a lot of time fixing them, manhadling them, and repairing the bits that rust away. Soul is well and good, but its also a major headache most of the time.

I love old cars and trucks, but they are good for a hobby, or toy. If you need something that requires little work, and runs all the time when you need it to, soul isn't a good thing to have.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Yeah, good call. I would buy an 80 myself, but I doubt I'll be taking my family wheeling, so I'd be looking for a more aggressive build up because I wouldn't have to worry about anyone else. If Drew is going for a truck for family outings, I think they will enjoy the 100 more. But maybe not.

Generation Dead
Old 06-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Drew,

Prices are coming down, so I would suggest looking at an '03 and up to what you can afford if you end up looking at a 100.

Having driven the Atrac with and without a rear locker, I would choose a newer year with a 5 speed ('03 first year of 5 speed), that way when you add a locker you have the best of both worlds. You are never going to be able to add Atrac, as far as I know. 98-99 came with a rear locker but 4 speed. I have an 01 with Atrac no locker yet. 00 has the tranny issue at about 100-120K miles, so if you find one with more miles, maybe it is ok.

Front Diffs are weaker on the 98-99s so you gotta fix that soon. Not much better but a little stronger in the 00-newer.

Headers crack, so you will need to replace that on just about any year you buy but the DT headers are in my opinion, one of the best mods, more power.

You can add Soul when you get one..

Quote:
I just read every page of Gary's X2 build over on mud. Darn shame the thing got smacked on its first day out. A build like that would be just awesome, but I don't have time for it now with the little ones.

Chris- Thanks, that's the real world info I am actually looking for in this thread, the rest of the peanut gallery just wants to spend my money and poke fun that I don't wheel anymore

And who said I wanted white!? I'd love most anything over white or green. I am still thinking of a SAS onto a black Sequoia with 40s... should tow a pop up fine

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey now,

No one is poking fun at you that you don't wheel, because you do. But you have said to me multiple times that you prefer a scenic, unstressful road to a hardcore rock crawl type trail. As I recall, that was the whole reason you built the trailer was to be able to go up the 4wd roads you like doing and then could camp out.

Honestly wasn't meant as mean. It was simply advice based on what you've described to us on several occasions about the type of trips you want to do (vehicle and trailer based trails that would not screw up your truck or leave you broken in the hills.)

Sorry about the clutter.

Generation Dead
Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Hey now,

No one is poking fun at you that you don't wheel, because you do. But you have said to me multiple times that you prefer a scenic, unstressful road to a hardcore rock crawl type trail. As I recall, that was the whole reason you built the trailer was to be able to go up the 4wd roads you like doing and then could camp out.

Honestly wasn't meant as mean. It was simply advice based on what you've described to us on several occasions about the type of trips you want to do (vehicle and trailer based trails that would not screw up your truck or leave you broken in the hills.)

Sorry about the clutter.
I'm just busting your chops in good fun bud. You know me here better than anybody... you know what I am after. You complete me

It's really true, I think I want a rock stock 100 series... on 40's. I just love the look and the once every 2 years that I need some lift and tires. I am doomed to aesthetics forever, I think.

I am interested in what makes certain 100's "better" to consider and with what options than others. I know a few things to look for with the 80's, but the 100's are still a little new and uncharted waters for me.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Seriously if a popup is in the future a 100 tows 100x better than an 80. I couldn't take towing our popup anymore after coming back from yellowstone last year in the 80 on I80. The 80 just can't maintain speed towing. Couple that with going 35 in the hills here it's just a pita. The 100 is roomier and way more comfortable than the 80 for long treks. An 80 would be sweet with a 4.7. you can find a 80 super charged or try to find a super charger but it's not that easy as they are older, have to put it on a higher milage motor, run high octane, rebuild it, etc. You can do just about every pass with a mild lift and it's really a no brainer the 100 is a better choice if that's your criteria.
TLCA#4180