Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM

So my cruiser is a funny gal, right before I switched to the 4 speed my 3 speed tranny started to crap the bed. Now I ordered a new tundra and am suppose to take delivery around the first of July and I think my rear end is going out.
She's mad at me, I know it.
I have developed a clunk while in gear that only happens if I let off the pedal quickly or hit the throttle quick also. It just makes that noise 1 time everything I do those actions previously mentioned. The sound was coming from the rear end area. But to be sure I dropped the DS and ran her in 4wd; no clunk. I inspected the DS and the u-joints seem fine but I'll replace them just because. So I reattached the DS and went for a drive. Now "wtf" the noise is gone!? Now all the bolts on the DS were tight, I didn't have to fight them off but I couldn't twist them off by hand. Could of it been that one of those bolts just wasn't tight enough? This seems like too easy of a fix, really.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898

Last edited by bigcity25; 06-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Check the pinon nut - but you'll have to drop the rear d-shaft to get to it. Don't wait on this - very bad things happen if the pinon nut backs off all the way. Not sure why the noise would have been affected by your pulling the d-shaft, but who knows.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Check the pinon nut - but you'll have to drop the rear d-shaft to get to it. Don't wait on this - very bad things happen if the pinon nut backs off all the way. Not sure why the noise would have been affected by your pulling the d-shaft, but who knows.
X2 on Steve's advice. Bad things can happen even if it is just loose.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

When it falls off the truck stops very, very fast. AMHIK
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
When it falls off the truck stops very, very fast. AMHIK
Okay, I will ask you how you know!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Driving to work. I had exited I-70. Going South on Vail Valley. I was doing maybe 15-20 mph. It was like someone hooked a chain to the rear axle. Truck just fricken' stopped. Back wheels both locked up. Had to get a wrecker to tow it home. One and only time in 18 years of owning Toyota's that I couldn't drive home. Pinion gear fell into the ring, broken teeth on both. Got a used front diff from Salida and stuffed it in the rear, few days later I was back on the road.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Well pulled the DS off today and the pinion nut is still where I left it last February when I did the 4 speed swap. Nothing loose, it all looks good. But I replaced all the lock washers on both of my drive shafts. They were original and after comparing them to new washers they were pretty flat. Didn't notice that when I did the 4 speed swap but maybe that was all they had left. I am leaning towards the idea the DS was loose and started to have just enough flex in the system to create that noise. But I'll keep a close watch on it all and double check things in a while.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898