Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Pearl Pass Yet?

Hi all,

I was thinking about Doing Pearl Pass, Montezuma, and Taylor Pass over the 4th weekend. I am curious if anyone can confirm that the late snow on pearl is Gone or passable.

I found some intel. from the 23rd that it was getting close but..........
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

I can't help that far north but I can say everything in the San Juans is pretty much dry.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Smile

right on, if all else fails I'm sure there will be enough stuff open around it to still have fun
Old 07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

usually a little early for pearl to be open. normal years it's not til later this month, heavy years aug. I would doubt it's passable right now. snowpack would have to have been lean to get through a few spots on july 4
TLCA#4180
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Rode over Pearl last summer in mid August and the snow field would have been impassable to vehicles. We walked our bikes over.

But you can just check here: http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#pearl

Quote:
Pearl Pass Gunnison/Gunnison 970-641-0471 Partially open 6/23/13
COMMENTS:
6/23/13 - Deep snow blocks Pearl Pass rd. approx. one half mile above the Taggert - Wilson huts. This is blown-in snow which is probably seven feet deep on the high side of the road. Although the snow in general is melting quickly,this pile and the next two along the way are likely to block passage for 4 more weeks. Travel any further will require many, many hours of digging snow with a shovel.

5/12/13 - From the Aspen side,where the winter gate at Ashcroft was recently opened, I was able to get past the 7 campsites to the creek crossing. There is snow covering the road in random piles of varying depths, but most of them were fairly compacted and I was able to stay on top with soft tires, chains and lockers. Snow is very deep beyond the creek crossing. With depths of chest deep on the high side, and knee deep on the low side, the drop-off into the bottom of the creek is a very dangerous situation. Travel beyond the creek crossing is not advised at this time as there is no where to turn around.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler