Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Rampart/Dakan/Jackson Creek

Yesterday my son and I made a quick run up Jackson Creek Rd to 507 to Rampart Range south and then down Dakan Rd (north, but mostly downhill) across 503 (Watson Park Rd) and the up Jackson Creek back to Rampart.

Pretty much nobody out there, except for 3 motocrossers that looked a little surprised to see a big LC on 503.

Question for those that know: I saw prominent signs at the Dakan trailhead at Rampart saying that camping was only permitted at designated sites. Between Rampart Range Rd and the Watson Park turnoff, I only noticed 3 "designated" sites. Are there more along Dakan north of Watson Park that are worth investigating?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun member

Took me a minute, but I finally figured out your route. So you drove past Jackson Creek (502) and then turned left on Dakan Road (563) which is basically across from Long Hollow Gulch (348). The looped back around counter clockwise and came back to RRRoad.

I believe there is some camping north of the Watson Park turnoff on Dakan Road, but I can only recall 1 or 2 places.

Next time you're up there you should take Long Hollow Gulch Road (348), it's pretty neat down that direction and you can end up in Woodland Park if you drive it far enough.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Rock Stacker

Sorry.. I probably should have said "up Jackson Creek Rd from Perry Park Rd" so it was clear that that was how I accessed the whole area.

I'm going to run south down Long Hollow later today to see if I can snag a camp spot by that pond there. Otherwise I'll camp at one of the three spots on Dakan that I saw.

Fire restrictions have been lifted to the point where you *can* have one in one of the NFS metal rings, but not in a stone ring. (Actually, the NFS has lifted their restrictions entirely, but Douglas county still has theirs in place)

And by the way... the amount of trash at the campsites was DISGUSTING. I'll be bringing several huge trash bags with me while scouting today.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGator View Post
Sorry.. I probably should have said "up Jackson Creek Rd from Perry Park Rd" so it was clear that that was how I accessed the whole area.

I'm going to run south down Long Hollow later today to see if I can snag a camp spot by that pond there. Otherwise I'll camp at one of the three spots on Dakan that I saw.

Fire restrictions have been lifted to the point where you *can* have one in one of the NFS metal rings, but not in a stone ring. (Actually, the NFS has lifted their restrictions entirely, but Douglas county still has theirs in place)

And by the way... the amount of trash at the campsites was DISGUSTING. I'll be bringing several huge trash bags with me while scouting today.
I camped off of Dakan Rd on NF 503 recently and was also disgusted with the amount of trash people leave back there.

That said, the campsites do seem few and far between but it is still beautiful when you can hike into the low-lying areas with creeks and green grass. I love Pike NF because it is so close to where I am.

I flew back there at lunch today. Here are some pics. You can see Jackson Creek Road in the bottom center of the first picture (Pike's Peak in the background). Devil's Head and Hayman Burn area in the other two.
Attached Images

'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207