Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Coyote Buttes and then some, end of 2014

I am in the loose planning stages of a multi-night trip to the SW Utah, NW Arizona areas. Leaving the Denver area around Sunday 12/28, with at least 3 nights under the cold stars to follow. I'll be completing our journey with a drive further down south to Grandma's house, returning that next weekend. But the start of the trip is an attempt to see some stuff we haven't seen before, and want to, and it's this portion that I'm inviting others to join. Here are some of the goals/highlights:

1. The Wave. http://www.thewave.info/ Deal is you need a permit to even see this place, and I'll be applying for one when the time is right. If I get one, then this will take precedent over the other options. Looks and sounds amazing. Apparently the odds are best for permits in the dead of winter, so there you go.

2. Zion. The last human city. If the war was over tomorrow, Zion is where the party would be. http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

3. Coral Pink Sand Dunes http://www.zionnational-park.com/coral-pink-sand.htm

4. Bryce Canyon http://www.zionnational-park.com/bryce-canyon.htm

Open to input, suggestions, and whatever else you think may add value here. Also open to others joining in. I have this feeling that if you are also into this type of adventure that you'd be just perfect to join us here.

We'll have 2 kids- they love the RTT, and like sleeping with hats on. If you come, your rig/equipment should be capable of camping for 3 days/2 nights in the middle of nowhere, in 0C temperatures. I suspect trailers could make it everywhere we'll be going, but we aren't bringing one, just the RTT. This is extended winter camping, around 4000' in elevation. I would venture to guess it'll be a lot like area BFE in March.

Yes I'm already in contact with some knowledgeable Utah residents, and plan on leveraging their expertise as much as possible. Wanted to get this out well in advance, in case anyone is working on their Holiday planning and thinking a little trip with (or away from) the family may be in the cards this year.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Here's another one, White Pocket. check out this site.. http://www.thewave.info/WhitePocketCode/Map.html any time someone says "high clearance 4x4 is definitely needed" I just get a little excited, sounds like a perfect place to take the family!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Could be a wicked way to ride out the end of 2014
TLCA #22702
Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Always wanted to see the Wave. Sounds really cool.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have tried for years to get to the Wave but have never gotten the permit to hike it. I then heard about White Pocket south of the Wave. Good road going south to Johnson Crossing. When you turn off to White Pocket, the off-road is mostly sandy, I used 4-wheel frive on several occasion as you do not want to be stranded out there. White Pocket is not quite as great as the Wave but you will probably be there by yourself, and its great walking around and taking alot of pictures. Well worth the trip with a bit of off-roading. Great camping along the way.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Have actually been thinking about an end of the year desert run. Martin and I talked about it a bit during Cruise Moab. Thought it would be fun to spend some time in Comb Ridge, Chinle Wash and end at the Little Rockies. Chinle Wash requires a permit from the Navajo Nation and the little Rockies fall into a Wilderness study area, so it would be foot travel.

Sounds like you have a good trip laid out Tim.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Tim,

I have some BLM maps of the most remote parts of Northern Arizona. I am trip planning for next year. They are the high quality ones you have to order. You're more than welcome to take a look, borrow, bring them with you if you'd like. Most of that area has a "no trailer" restriction, so if anyone joining you wants to bring a trailer, this wouldn't be the area to go.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 06-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default monitoring

Hi Tim,

We are thinking of ringing in the new year on this trip. Think it could be a lot of fun.

Talk to you soon,
Art
Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Right on! Brian that sounds like a sweet place... the most important part is that we just get out of down and head west for a few hours, after that the rest is just details, IMO.

Hope you other guys can come as well.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Rising Sun Commander

bump.

Still looking at White Pocket- who wants to go?

edit: link to Expedition Utah http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/...ad.php?p=47367

www.gamiviti.com