Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
What made you change your mind? In the ATV thread when I brought up using a tractor instead of an ATV you had no interest and said you sold a tractor.
I started pricing used ATVs vs. used tractors... and comparing what is needed to do ag stuff with ATVs.

As soon as you get out of the golden Kubota timeframe ($x,xxx for abused junk, to $xx,xxx for decent shape), then go back in time to the 50s and even 40s, you find hardware that not only has stood the test of time even with minimal maintenance, but hardware that you can still get parts for, and cheaply, and it was made to be rebuilt without a lot of special equipment. There are numerous sites selling new and reproduction parts, and some have tractor graveyards for original parts.

OK... relatively cheaply... I am getting hooked on the idea of really restoring this thing, which starts to add up. Like an addiction... just how accurate do you go? Do you use Tract-O-Lite lights that are pretty close, or the exact reproductions that cost twice as much? On my side, the tractor just has a couple of mechanical issues that are pretty easily resolved. One of which is the common issue of rear seals leaking gear oil on the shoes, which is handily fixed by fitting an internal seal and throwing grease on the wheel bearing and calling it good - this was actually a service bulletin waaaay back in the day! So RE: restoring, I can do the go-slow method of financing... LOL. And I paid half or less than a fully restored tractor. I can do that myself, the motor is tight and the mechanicals are fine except for the aforementioned leak. It smokes a bit on acceleration, but due to primitive carburetion. Got that dialed in as close as the system allows. Amazingly dirty, these 40s motors. We really have come a long way.

The foot-locking diff came later than the 40s - 50s. The old school method of chains, and calcium carbide, works pretty well.

Rear blade as wheelie bar... Yeah it would be on there in winter anyway.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
re: the welsh farmers... I bet it would work a whole lot better in reverse.
Until the weight shifted to what is now the 'rear'. I was pretty amazed he got out of there without a rope. Lucky he didn't suddenly hook up or he would have met his maker.... see above mention on dangers...

Proof that there are international translations of a redneck's famous last words:
Quote:
[Hey/Oi], hold my [beer/Guinness/Jameson] and watch THIS!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

what do you use calcium carbide for in a tractor?

let me know if you buy a bunch i'll grab some from you or share the cost.
82 FJ40
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bill, whatever you do. It'll be impressive. Already is very cool.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Is the carbide for lights? Can you still buy a can of carbide for use in mining lamps?

edit:
http://www.karstsports.com/mingradca...l#.UhbRW1XnZdg

I guess its still available but kinda expensive.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Is the carbide for lights? Can you still buy a can of carbide for use in mining lamps?

edit:
http://www.karstsports.com/mingradca...l#.UhbRW1XnZdg

I guess its still available but kinda expensive.
Yep, that's what I noticed....

I have an old miners lamp I use it for occasionally.

So bill, Carbide for what on the tractor? does it have a welding rig?
82 FJ40
Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would not do any kind of super-duper resto on a tractor you're doing to use - you will scratch up and damage any fine paint work, and most tractor buyers are looking for solid mechanics and appealing paint, but not 'period correct' resto type stuff. If this were a really exotic garage-queen tractor, then this rule might not apply. YMMV.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
YouTube is blocked at work so this is the first time I watched that...

AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knowing how a tractor handles at speed, that really IS a terror!! For the DRIVER!

How to ruin a perfectly serviceable tractor, though... useless now.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 08-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Yep, that's what I noticed....

I have an old miners lamp I use it for occasionally.

So bill, Carbide for what on the tractor? does it have a welding rig?
DOH! Forgot to engage the brain. Calcium carbide would be exceedingly dangerous...

I was thinking calcium chloride...when I typed calcium carbide... sorry guys. You put it in the tubes as an antifreeze for water. Works terrifically for traction (as long as you don't have a pinhole leak, it can be quite corrosive... you'll know it if you do...).
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 08-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I would not do any kind of super-duper resto on a tractor you're doing to use - you will scratch up and damage any fine paint work, and most tractor buyers are looking for solid mechanics and appealing paint, but not 'period correct' resto type stuff. If this were a really exotic garage-queen tractor, then this rule might not apply. YMMV.
True until you get to the classic ones. But even then, function can override correctness. 6V systems vs. 12V conversions, for instance. I think the new lights sitting in the garage are close enough, and don't want to jump through hoops to get the 6V 'correct' lights functional at the same level.

Thinking about modernizing the carb too for the same reason. Not urgent, runs fine, if dirty.

I'm not gonna dump a TON on it, but I did get some decent paint, an inexpensive airbrush, and do want to fix the little dents here and there. Fender skins are $89 primed for instance... the hood is like $449 so I will be attempting to get it looking nice my own darn self. Started on it.

The two functional areas needing attention are the gear oil leak on brake shoes, and overhauling the steering box. All those parts on order... bushings from the states, a modern seal set to replace the rawhide seals, from England (like, twelve pounds fitty pence to buy and deliver them. Kinda expensive for seals, but not a frequent item since I will be replacing gear oil with grease in the steering box, which was a factory service bulletin 55 years ago ). It won't be horrendous. Having someone ELSE do it, would be.

Found a guy in Lyons who sold me an English harrow (chain harrow). It's the shiz for busting up horse manure dragging one way, even seeding prep dragging the other. I want to weld together a pipe arrangement so I can just lift it on the 3 point and move between pastures instead of unhooking all of it to avoid ripping up the driveway. Pretty much set now for implements.
KDRCH
Bio Page

Last edited by Red_Chili; 08-23-2013 at 02:53 PM.