Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default 2013 Ham Tech Operator Class

I've been threatening a class for a while, I need to get off the dime and do it. Please reply to this thread if you want to either sit in for the class or proctor the exam (ideally we'll be able give the test, too). Anticipated material will be substantially based on the ARRL Technician presentation with added discussion as needed or desired.

I will be teaching to the 2010 question pool, which is valid until 30 June 2014. I will be happy to discuss most any aspect of ham radio but the slides will be substantially discussing question on the Element 2 exams. As in very substantially to the questions you'll see on the Technician exam.

Bring a notebook and writing instrument if you wish. If you have a Tech study manual you are welcome to bring it although I won't be talking directly from one.

The pool questions:
http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/Revis...lement%202.Pdf

Brian's, KC0YRM, excellent license notes:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=5863

The ARRL's study guide:
http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-L...ed-2nd-Edition

It looks like we have a quorum of VEs, so I will try to pull together the exam, too.

Dates:
July 16, 23, 30 (instruction)
August 6 (if needed for exam)

Time:
7PM to 9PM

7270 W 118th Pl., Unit A
Broomfield, CO 80020

Students
  1. Dan Kucera (MountainGoat)
  2. Tim Nakari (nakman)
  3. Barry Dykes (Sleepy)
  4. Terry Holben (Art Hog)
  5. Tom (BournID)
  6. Dave Kaiser (Old40Dog)
  7. Jim Sanderson (DenCo40)
  8. Marco (rover67)
  9. mjsloan
  10. Drew F. (Rezarf)
  11. Jimmy
  12. Joel
  13. Craig (walk-in)
  14. Kevin (walk-in)
  15. Open

VEs
  1. David Armbruster (Extra)
  2. Matt Farr (General)
  3. Ricardo Maestas (General)
  4. TBD

Schedule:
Tuesday, July 16
  • Introduction
  • Why Do We Bother Being Amateurs
  • Operating Basics
  • Essential FCC Rules and Ham Courtesy

Tuesday, July 23
  • Propagation Basics
  • Safety
  • Test Equipment and Practices
  • Basic Electronics

Tuesday, July 30
  • Basic Electronics (continued)
  • Operating Modes
  • Radios and Antennas

Tuesday, August 6
  • Exam
  • Beers!

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-05-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Wincher

Thumbs up

After my last post, I guess I'd have to say I was in :-) Hopefully, we could do some setups as well. It's one thing to just rote memorize things for a test, it's entirely another to have hands on experience to understand why such things are important to know.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Club Treasurer

I am in for this Dave. Been needing to do it forever and can't seem to make time to study on my own. With kids and all, getting out of the house is a huge plus for me to get it done. I really appreciate you doing this man. I actually prefer Stevinson, but would be willing to go elsewhere within reason.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just to clarify, it would be 3 evenings if I can pull together a testing session. It would only need to be 2 nights for the class part itself. I am putting operator level behind the VE, if I get 3 Extras we could let people take upgrade exams, too.

If I can't get the exam for whatever reason there are tests in Bailey and Monument on 7/27, in Englewood on 8/3 and Louisville on 8/8.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I should be able to act as a VE on the 30th.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Thanks for doing this Dave. Pencil me in as a student depending on the dates & location... would like to brush up on some theory myself and I'd be glad to help facilitate some of the topics as well.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I am damn proud to thank Dave for putting this on. I wish I could do it twice a year still, but brewery work never gets me much time for anything else!

I would like to be present on July 16th and 23 for moral support as well as some real world application stories, but we leave for a trip to AK on July 25th and won't be back until August 2nd, so being an official VE for the test on July 30 isn't feasible.

I seem to remember that RicardoJM is also a VE, maybe I could bribe him (and the whole VE team) with some to ensure you have a full team for at least giving the Tech test.

Dave, I think I still have some material for giving the test, I will round it up and try to get it to you or Nakman so you have it. Pencils and paperwork. I'll look to see if it still is valid. I could also offer the brewery upstairs room for the classes and the exam. Tuesdays usually are really good for things like this. We could do all sorts of media stuff as well as some demo stuff.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Wincher

I guess I wasn't clear - I'm in - Barry Dykes
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I will join in, too
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I am damn proud to thank Dave for putting this on. I wish I could do it twice a year still, but brewery work never gets me much time for anything else!
There is no reason this should be your responsibility, there are lots of capable hams within (and without) the club.
Quote:
I seem to remember that RicardoJM is also a VE, maybe I could bribe him (and the whole VE team) with some to ensure you have a full team for at least giving the Tech test.
I have no doubt that it time allows Ricardo will help out. Just have to lay on the guilt thick and heavy...
Quote:
Dave, I think I still have some material for giving the test, I will round it up and try to get it to you or Nakman so you have it. Pencils and paperwork. I'll look to see if it still is valid. I could also offer the brewery upstairs room for the classes and the exam. Tuesdays usually are really good for things like this. We could do all sorts of media stuff as well as some demo stuff.
Glad you mentioned it, I do not have the ARRL slides and have never set up a testing session. I can hit you offline for the 4-1-1.

Big Choice would be a fine classroom. Since I'm not a paid member of the club and have not been to a meeting in years, I'm not sure what I have to do to reserve the Stevinson meeting room, so alternative locations are not a problem for me. Does anyone have a strong preference? One thing about using Stevinson is that they are very strict about being out of there on time. This cuts both ways, keeps things moving but also can cut short discussion.