Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I like the shorter bed and 4 door look.

I think I would lift it, put big tires on it and call it a day, after adding a 4x4 camper and Ham radio. Maybe a bumper and winch some day.

For what I am doing, I just don't see the need for all the extra stuff.
You may want to reconsider the shorter bed. My dad has a FWC in his 04 Taco. It sticks out of the 6 ft bed by a few inches, and it is NOT big. 2 people in it is tricky. Any more is nearly impossible.

Those are either 5 or 5.5 foot beds, which would either have a camper sticking WAY out the back (easy to catch on stuff) or be so small as to be impractical for a camper.

Now, if you went full custom and got one that replaced the bed rather than just slid into it, then that would be a different story.

Here is how a small model camper looks in the 6 foot bed:

Just food for thought. FWIW, this truck gets 18 with the camper, but its supercharged so that helps a bit.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
While looking at this link I noticed this: http://m.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/nis...el-v8-cummins/. You may not have to like GM after all Jacket
A 5L turbo diesel would be awesome for a decent sided utility vehicle. Almost like the mythical 5bt :-D
Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the pics and heads up. Looks like gotta go with the larger Bed. How does your dad like his set up?

I bet I could make something like this work well.

Any interior pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
You may want to reconsider the shorter bed. My dad has a FWC in his 04 Taco. It sticks out of the 6 ft bed by a few inches, and it is NOT big. 2 people in it is tricky. Any more is nearly impossible.

Those are either 5 or 5.5 foot beds, which would either have a camper sticking WAY out the back (easy to catch on stuff) or be so small as to be impractical for a camper.

Now, if you went full custom and got one that replaced the bed rather than just slid into it, then that would be a different story.

Here is how a small model camper looks in the 6 foot bed:

Just food for thought. FWIW, this truck gets 18 with the camper, but its supercharged so that helps a bit.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Thanks for the pics and heads up. Looks like gotta go with the larger Bed. How does your dad like his set up?

I bet I could make something like this work well.

Any interior pics?
He loves it. But, its just him and my mom.

I don't have any interior pics right now. FWC has some on their website, but it totally depends on what you opt to go with as far as options and ammenities.

His has a fridge, sink, stove, and cabinets on the driver side. There is a 1 ft wide walk way in the middle, and bench with storage underneath on the passenger side. Storage bench at the front end (by the cab) Queen sized bed above the cab, and the bench folds down into another small bed, but its not really comfy, nor easy to use.

He has a shower on the outside, as he has a hot water heater, and a propane heater on the inside. The fridge runs off of the battery or propane, and the camper has two additional batteries that charge off of the truck when driving, and solar panels when parked. If you run out of juice, you can switch to propane to keep the fridge cold so your food doesn't spoil.

Another option is Phoenix campers. You generally have to give your truck to them, but they'll custom build a pop up to the truck, which, IMO looks a lot better and can possibly make better use of space.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

At 25MPG I don't see the US market embracing a diesel. That is not enough MPG gain to really offset the extra cost of the fuel. Now if it comes with a significant power increase too then maybe.

In the end I hope it just motivates Toyota to rework their emissions and sell us what the rest of the world gets.

A JK with a diesel and a AT Habitat could put me over the edge to join Rudy and drive a Jeep. That's the only non-HD vehicle I could ever see our market getting a diesel and SFA.
2004 Starcraft 10RT