Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FZJ80 full brake job - anything I need to know?

Hey all,

I took the 80 to see our friends at AA Performance Brake & Muffler in Englewood for brake diagnosis. Turns out the rotors are too thin to save and have started warping. So I broke down and ordered new Toyota rotors, pads, and e-brake shoes from our friend Derek at Stevinson West and will be doing brakes (and OME Heavies) next week.

I've done brakes a few times before but haven't done the e-brake shoes before. Any tips, tricks, or pitfalls to be wary of?

Anyone want to come hang out in Evergreen on Thursday, June 26 to help out? My plan is to get them on and the springs/shocks done before Argentine Pass run. Figured I'd at least throw that out there.

(Plenty of Colorado on hand after )

Matt
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt...I'd be surprised if your e-brake shoes need anything other than adjusting. Unless you ride around pulling your e-brake and swinging your back end around, the e-brake pads usually last a REALLY LONG TIME!!!

At some point, I would think about having the caliper pistons re-built. I changed everything on my brakes, including Slee extended brake lines, and the thing that I felt made the most difference was the new calipers. That said, I also went with the 100 series larger pads (which makes zero difference in stopping) which really extends my time between pad changes. You should feel a little difference if your rotors are really thin when you get both new pads and rotors.

The pads and rotors are very straight-forward, if you follow the service manual.

Lastly...I'm trying to talk my friend down the street into buying your springs. I'm tired of seeing his exhausted stock springs and his low-rider 80!!!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun member

Poser had a good rear brake writeup on MUD. Check it out.

If it's not too late you might consider 100 series brake pads in your 80 calipers.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good call on the 100 series pads. Switch made for the order.
TLCA #22433
Old 06-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Poser had a good rear brake writeup on MUD. Check it out.
Brilliant tip; found it. Here's the link so it's also in "our" forum.
TLCA #22433
Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

If the soft lines are original I'd probably do those too while your in there. Might as well go longer in case you decide 2" is not enough down the road.

If none of your pistons are sticking I'd leave those alone personally. And I agree a simple e-brake pad adjustment should be all that's needed unless you abuse your e-brake.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Are you gonna have a lot of weight in the back? If not, your gonna have a really rough ride until you get some weight back there. If you want some mediums in the meantime, I have some sitting in my garage. I ran the mediums for a long time and the ride is much better than with my heavies. I went to the heavies because I got the rooftop tent and I've been doing a lot more long trips loaded down.

I have to say, I miss the medium load OME when I'm not loaded down! Almost makes me wonder if air bags would have been a better solution for me?

You are welcome to use the mediums for a spell, if the heavies are too rough for you.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'd also suggest repacking the rear wheel bearings while you've got the rears apart anyway. These tend to get neglected on 80s (and non-USA FF rears of 40, 45, 55 and 60 series).
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, Jeff. Anything unusual there, or just a matter of the grease and labor? Assuming the bits inside are good I assume it's just a matter of cleaning them up and getting them good and goopy with new grease.
TLCA #22433
Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Rising Sun member

There's a SST that Toyota wants you to use for that job (kinda like the 54mm socket for the front, only this one is a three-pronged dealy), but folks have good luck using screwdrivers I think instead.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Tags
brakes, e-brake, fzj80