Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I think Nitto Trail Grappler will be my next tire. Currently running Duratracs, which are the best tire I've ever had on snowy I-70 conditions. But alas yes, I did rip a sidewall on one wheeling. We'll see what else comes out in the next couple years though, as mine are essentially new.

And we should always have at least one active tire thread, thanks for posting!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I think Nitto Trail Grappler will be my next tire. Currently running Duratracs, which are the best tire I've ever had on snowy I-70 conditions. But alas yes, I did rip a sidewall on one wheeling. We'll see what else comes out in the next couple years though, as mine are essentially new.

And we should always have at least one active tire thread, thanks for posting!
That is a nice tire Tim.

If you had 17 inch rims you could get it in a 34" and the width is under 12".

That is almost the height of a 315 at a half inch narrower.

I keep thinking a 17" rim is the way to go, down the road. For just this reason.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Mine are 315's. They are "E" rated. I can't speak for other sizes personally. Mine felt extremely thin when I got them. (ordered from Summit Racing). When I had them mounted the tire tech even committed they seemed super thin in the sidewall for what they are. Later I spoke with a local GoodYear dealer down here. They had quit selling them to the oil & gas guys as they had so many sidewall failures locally. Personally all this does not matter to me. Mine only see the HWY for the most part as they have studs for winter use.
Good to know! I had considered them before I got a great deal on my current tires, so I never looked further. I'll keep that in mind for future use.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Rock Stacker

I;m new but I design tires and wheels. the tire side is full of compromises. the duratrac is what is called a tweener tire. not a mud and not an AT. cooper has one, procomp, and goodyear that's about it. for durability I take the trxus MT any day works as advertised I know I helped design it. it is now built by STA and not denmen. so it will last longer but .... just a little longer. compromise is the key. you must balance your needs to performance. the duratrac is probably the best for you but folks have found out weak sidewalls. the Interco Trxus MT out performs it with the exception of mileage. so you have to make the decision. there are reasons why each tire works but that isn't what is important. its what is important to you. any feel free to ask.
has anyone seen the birddog wheel?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Rock Stacker

Default wheel and tire help

I am new to your form. that being said I am a registered member so I can gather information on tires and wheels. because that is what I do for Interco tire co. go to the Interco tire web site or facebook and look up Birddog wheels. that is a product created by the needs of people like you. this a rare occurrence to have an actual representative of a tire/wheel company listen to the people that use it's products. the Birddog wheel is a prime example of what can happen if a company listens to its users. so at any time you see the need or just have a question. i'll do my best to answer it.
in the mean time keep your wheels down and top up, good wheeling.
Dennis Franklin
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
The only weak point of the Duratrac is the sidewall IMO. They are very thin but despite that there have not been too many reports of failure. .
I don't run these, but I'll tell you, I've seen sidewall and tread puncture 100% of the time when wheelin' with a fellow 60 owner who has them in 16". (OK, 2 runs...but both times) I'm sure it's coincidence as most I've talked to love them.

but wait...how many sidewall punctures/failures have you guys have with Duratracs compared with your other tires? (knocking on wood...I've never had a puncture with my BFGs)

I've been running BFG ATs and MT (km2). the only reason I moved away from the AT was one time, in MT they loaded up so much mud it was crazy!...like an inch off the tread! I've been happy with the KM2s. That said...the ATs for me were GREAT for on/off road duty and worked well for me in the snow. (as they get older, they get much worse in the snow/cold)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtire View Post
I am new to your form. that being said I am a registered member so I can gather information on tires and wheels. because that is what I do for Interco tire co.
I want a 36"x11.5"R16 MT type tire with a stout sidewall and at least 21/32" of tread with a decent tread life (better than TrXus) If nothing like that appears my next set of tires will be toyo MT's
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
but wait...how many sidewall punctures/failures have you guys have with Duratracs compared with your other tires? (knocking on wood...I've never had a puncture with my BFGs)
i haven't pierced a sidewall with my duratracs, but I have noticed they don't need aired down a lot...

I've seen people on mud complain about this with duratracs and the one's that I remember that have been serious about investigating it had D load rated tires instead of the 10-ply E rated tires...

I'm sure there's plenty of E rated duratracs that have been punctured though..

its a compromise, but one worth it in my book for the performance in winter driving.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I've been very happy with the Trail Grapplers. I did cut one sidewall, but it actually didn't rip all the way through and still held air. They've taken a pretty good beating and held up well. You can see a lot of marks/rubs on them that held strong. My BFG's chunked really bad where these do not.

I'm going to sipe them in a few weeks in preparation for winter though.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Welcome drtire.. my experience with Trxus MT was they wheeled great, and were fun in deep snow. But they wouldn't balance well, wore fast, and were very loud. Had to put close to a pound of weight on a couple of them, even rotate the rim inside the tire a couple times to balance out the high spots..

I went from Trxus to Toyos and gave up some of the offroad grip action, also likely lost a little snowy road traction. But they actually balanced and rolled well, which was a huge upgrade. At the time I swore I'd never get Trxus again, because they balanced so poorly. this was probably 6 years ago, has anything changed?

And I don't get what you guys are saying about E rated being stronger- my Duratracs are E-rated and it says right on the sidewall there's 2 ply. Yes, the tire I ripped was E rated.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 09-10-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: pics