Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > For Sale / Wanted

Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Rock Stacker

Default 1997 Land Cruiser 80 Series

Black Toyota Land Cruiser. Asking $5,900 o.b.o.

I am the 2nd owner, bought it with 50,000 miles. Now it has 204,000 -- mostly highway. Condition is good, interior has wear. Regular maintenance and all required major work done at Independent Motors. New cats last year so passes CO emissions with no prob. I have title and service records. I am not a 4-wheeler myself, but I hear that this is the leading 4WD vehicle worldwide, but smooth ride and tight turning make it great for around town.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Lifted

I'm guessing no dif lockers?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Doesn't look like the switch is there, but hard to tell
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Doesn't look like the switch is there, but hard to tell
Doesn't look like it. Looks like the power mirror control in that spot.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Doesn't look like it. Looks like the power mirror control in that spot.
It would be to the right of that and is typically a blank black plate when there are no lockers. You can see the edge of the area and it looks like no switch
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Diff Locks

You are right; just a blank plate by the mirror controls. Other than the Low Range shifter, which I think locks the center diff (?), there's no switch to lock the front/back differentials.

I'm just a layman with no mechanical knowledge, so please forgive my attempt at answering this. I just learned what little I know from this "Diffs for Dummies" site... http://www.lcool.org/technical/diffs/diffs.html
Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFO View Post
You are right; just a blank plate by the mirror controls. Other than the Low Range shifter, which I think locks the center diff (?), there's no switch to lock the front/back differentials.

I'm just a layman with no mechanical knowledge, so please forgive my attempt at answering this. I just learned what little I know from this "Diffs for Dummies" site... http://www.lcool.org/technical/diffs/diffs.html
We knew that and you are completely forgiven - BTW, that is a fair price for that rig.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks, Jeff. Hopefully I'll find somebody interested in buying it. BTW, do you think there may be any interest among the serious 4-wheelers? Or does the vehicle's lack of F/R diff locks rule-out the serious people and make it a better fit for laypeople just needing good traction on-road/around town?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

The stock lockers make it easy and cost free for a buyer, but they are not perfect. There are some that prefer your setup because it allows them to install aftermarket lockers that may be stronger or faster to engage. If yours is a solid truck with good maintenance records on hand, someone will grab it for sure.

What's the story with the body side moldings? Did you add those? The "Four Wheel Drive" moldings tend to be on 80 series trucks from outside the US.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFO View Post
Thanks, Jeff. Hopefully I'll find somebody interested in buying it. BTW, do you think there may be any interest among the serious 4-wheelers? Or does the vehicle's lack of F/R diff locks rule-out the serious people and make it a better fit for laypeople just needing good traction on-road/around town?
For under $300 to purchase, a Lock Right or Aussie locker in the rear will be a quick and easy upgrade if someone wants to stay within a tight budget. I run Lock Rights in the rear of all of my Land Cruisers except my FJ45, which is more of a work truck than a wheeler. I know of several people who put them in their FJ80s and FZJ80s and were happy with the results. It takes around an hour to put one in and doesn't take any special skill. I wrote an article on installing Lock Rights in Land Cruisers that was published in Toyota Trails. In my personal experience, there have been very few times when having the front locked would have helped me, typically that is in deep snow.

ARBs (or factory electric) are stronger and work better because they are selectable, but rather expensive to purchase and install.