Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Green Bean Oil Leak

Guys-
I need some help identifying a leak on Green Bean ('82 40). It is all stock, has had the t-case rebuilt and I just had the clutch replaced with the rear main seal. It seems to be a pretty small one but I need some 2nd opinions. I thought it was an oil pan gasket or oil plug gasket (which looks leaky) but I think the oil pan looks pretty dry. I thought maybe the PS box was leaking but it looks dry too. Throw some ideas at me!
Attached Images

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

More!
Attached Images

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

clean everything including the floor. Park on top of a piece of cardboard and let it sit for a day or 2. See if you can better identify the location.

Looks like you have oil and coolant on the garage floor. those are 2 different problems.

Was it leaking before the clutch and rear main seal?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Drips on the rear leaf spring bushing can be from your PS box. Clean it all and wipe it all down with towels (outside of oil pan, etc.) and then get in there a day later with a flashlight.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
clean everything including the floor. Park on top of a piece of cardboard and let it sit for a day or 2. See if you can better identify the location.

Looks like you have oil and coolant on the garage floor. those are 2 different problems.

Was it leaking before the clutch and rear main seal?
Good call. I always noticed a small oil drip but not the coolant leak no. I just moved into a house with a garage as opposed to the dirt parking spot I was in before, so in all honesty it could have been leaking prior to this but I never noticed.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Rising Sun member

I wish I had your oil leaks

There is a cam plug on the back of the engine block, was that checked? How about your side cover gasket? Sometimes that oil can migrate back and drip from your clutch inspection cover (which looks like the worst leak to me).

Unfortunately I think you would have to pull the tranny again to get to it
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

My guess is that cam plug Matt mentioned, or else the new rear main didn't seat right or the seal surface is boogered causing it to leak even with a new seal.

'85 FJ60
Old 09-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Sometimes when you get the drip off the oil pan's little skid plate, it can be coming from the welds that hold that little skid plate on. This one:

I fixed this once with JB weld inside the pan.. With the pan off I could pull on the skid plate, and see where the metal was cracked.. of course now that I know what I know I'd most likely get it welded for real, but at the time JB seemed to fit the skill set, and budget. a repair that's still kickin', to my knowledge. so if you take the pan off, check it out.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I wish I had your oil leaks

There is a cam plug on the back of the engine block, was that checked? How about your side cover gasket? Sometimes that oil can migrate back and drip from your clutch inspection cover (which looks like the worst leak to me).

Unfortunately I think you would have to pull the tranny again to get to it
The side cover gasket is dirty, but dry. I did look there. The cam plug is something that you have to pull the tranny for, right? That will be the last one I check, but a good idea. How would that leak? I thought it was a solid plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
My guess is that cam plug Matt mentioned, or else the new rear main didn't seat right or the seal surface is boogered causing it to leak even with a new seal.
A possibility.. the oil leak is very slow which I hope means it's the skid plate like Nak mentioned below

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Sometimes when you get the drip off the oil pan's little skid plate, it can be coming from the welds that hold that little skid plate on. This one:

I fixed this once with JB weld inside the pan.. With the pan off I could pull on the skid plate, and see where the metal was cracked.. of course now that I know what I know I'd most likely get it welded for real, but at the time JB seemed to fit the skill set, and budget. a repair that's still kickin', to my knowledge. so if you take the pan off, check it out.
This seems like a likely culprit. I will clean everything off and check this weekend.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Does anyone have a tranny jack I could borrow for a bit?