Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Lifted

Exclamation Flood Zone Aid Meeting

Hey guys. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. My buddy Chris Breidenbach (you may have seen his large D90 rolling around town) down at The Edge Automotive is hosting a meeting tomorrow (9/17) at 7pm to discuss what 4x4 owners can do to assist those still stuck in flood zones requesting assistance in moving pets, recovering vehicles, and in general just getting out of their flooded in homes so they can get med refills and stuff like that.

Understandably, we can't just drive in and roll around wherever you want, but there are some in his group who have been in contact with the local authorities, and there are some things we can still do to help.

I'm not in the loop as far as what we, as regular ol' citizens can do to help, which is why I plan on attending the meeting to find out.

Beverages are provided, so just bring yourselves.

Directions to Chris' shop can be found here:

http://www.theedgeautomotive.com/

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Wincher

Thank you for the heads up. I am planning to attend tomorrow.

Generally speaking if anyone needs an extra hand or truck right now, please let me know. I am off of work and have free time to donate!

Diesel Toyota: HZJ75
Diesel Ford: F250
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wish I could make it. Sounds like a good plan. Possibly lots of recovery practice and experience could be had.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Lifted

It sounds like the meeting will mostly cover going about things the right way. Staying out of the way of larger recover efforts and getting a list of people and vehicles for possible projects over the next few months. There may be more to it, but I guess the best way to find out is to head down there.

- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great idea. I verified that Denver FEAT is not getting involved and have not heard back from a contact at Denver OEM. I can't make the meeting. Perhaps you could update us here.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Lifted

Still trying to make sure I can make it. Pretty sure I'll be there. I'll try to snag some bullet points.

1999 UZJ100
Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Lifted

I can't make the meeting, but I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Look forward to the bullet points.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Lifted

I plan on attending the meeting and see what they say, where they need help.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I was kind of wondering if FEAT was going to help. Thanks for letting us know Daniel.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Lifted

Just got back from the meeting. Everything is obviously in the very early stages of organization. Right now it's an open Facebook group full of wheelers chomping at the bit to get out and help. Some things that were discussed at the meeting were:

- Leaving the current, open group up on FB in order to gather info on possible rescue events and make general announcements.

- Forming a closed FB group to more effectively dispatch a group to a rescue, cleanup, etc... An alert will be made on the group's page, and those able to help can roger up until the job requirement is met. This will also keep the craziness to a minimum. It's great when 70 capable vehicles show up willing to help, but it can obviously hurt more than help.

- There will be placards made up so the group can be identified. This is especially useful in areas where access is controlled by a formal agency.

- The group needs someone, possibly a couple of people willing to "manage". Nothing really formal, but a couple of points of contact to quickly organize a small group when one is dispatched

- Even bigger, would be someone with points of contact with various agencies, or someone willing to make contact when someone requests help, or when the group sees an opportunity to help.

This group as it stands now may not be super effective during this particular event, but I can see it being useful in future events as it has more time to organize. Unfortunately, there will probably be more fires next year, and there will probably be some good snow this year. If the group can get organized, I can see it being very effective. Getting the word out to the various agencies around the state could be extremely helpful in the future. As the group gathers a strong reputation, it may be allowed access to more restricted areas, say, to make drinking water runs to those fighting fires during the spring and summer... stuff like that. It is VERY ground level right now, but if we can get the word out and get some folks to help organize things, it could be really cool.

I'm sure I forgot some things that James (Overlander) may have written down. I'm not currently a RS member, but I can definitely see this club being a huge help in this instance.

For more info, the group is located here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/214124998756606/

Thomas Graf is the organizer of this particular meeting, but as a business owner, probably doesn't have time to really sit down and manage this thing. This is probably the biggest obstacle right now.

Thanks for listening guys. Hopefully RS can come through and help get this group running efficient aid runs to those in need in our awesome state.

1999 UZJ100