Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default selling a vehicle?

As I've never tried to sell a vehicle privately, I'm trying to figure out what I need lined up, paperwork or otherwise, in order to sell the FJ. Digging around the DMV site is just making things more confusing for me. I'm sure a lot of you here are pretty familiar with the process. So...

How does the process change if there's still a lien on the vehicle? What gotchas should I be aware of? What can I do to make the process a smooth one?

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

The only thing you have to do is sign over the title.

But if you still have a lien you may not have possession of the title. If the loan is held by a local bank often the easiest thing to do is meet a buyer at the bank and process the sale there so title can be handed directly to the new owner.

If not find a bill of sale form online and complete that. The new owner will have to be comfortable with you paying off the loan and mailing title. You have to do that within 30 days of the transaction.

I would have a payoff from the bank handy so you can show that to a buyer. Hopefully its less than the selling price. You could also have a buyer issue two checks. One for the payoff and the remainder to you. That would make me feel better knowing that money is being sent to the right place.

All and all not a big deal but the buyer needs to be aware of the lien upfront. Save you a headache down the road.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post

But if you still have a lien you may not have possession of the title. If the loan is held by a local bank often the easiest thing to do is meet a buyer at the bank and process the sale there so title can be handed directly to the new owner.

If not find a bill of sale form online and complete that. The new owner will have to be comfortable with you paying off the loan and mailing title. You have to do that within 30 days of the transaction.

I would have a payoff from the bank handy so you can show that to a buyer. Hopefully its less than the selling price. You could also have a buyer issue two checks. One for the payoff and the remainder to you. That would make me feel better knowing that money is being sent to the right place.

All and all not a big deal but the buyer needs to be aware of the lien upfront. Save you a headache down the road.
Going through this now with my Subaru. thanks for the concise reply - I'll now have everything in place. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Another quick reminder that is title related. Make sure you print/sign your title exactly as your name is printed on the front. The DMV will boot it if you don't.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post

Awesome. Thanks. Exactly what I needed.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Write out a bill of sale for each of you and don't forget to take your plates. They can drive it home with no plates and get a temp tag or plates the first business day.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
Write out a bill of sale for each of you and don't forget to take your plates. They can drive it home with no plates and get a temp tag or plates the first business day.
otherwise you get the tickets and phone calls after they go nuts.

also, I think it is required in CO to have a passing emissions test but most folks don't bother.
82 FJ40
Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
also, I think it is required in CO to have a passing emissions test but most folks don't bother.
do those have an expiration? for example, could i smog it this week but sell it in a month and still have the emissions test be valid?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

emissions are good for 9 months I think.

a month or two? no problem
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
emissions are good for 9 months I think.

a month or two? no problem
awesome. thanks.