Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Actually not. You can go to the emission station and get a emission test done. Supply this to the buyer and he can then use that to register. That is only valid for 30 days. If you don't submit that to the DMV in 30 days I believe you have to get another one. For sure not 9 months.

Sucky thing is if you get an emissions test, then register and sell it soon, the new purchaser has to get another test done.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Christo.

Side note, dropped you guys an email today in between my conference calls. Hoping you can help me out. I'll try calling tomorrow as my schedule isn't nearly as packed.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Rising Sun member

Hope it's ok to piggyback on this thread, but what's the best way to take money from a buyer? I know cash, but I understand it's inconvenient to carry 5 figures around in your pocket. I know I could meet them at their bank, but if that's inconvenient for me? Cashier's check? Money order? Personal check?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

5k?

Cash.

Period.
82 FJ40
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Cash is best. Cashier's check is second best... when you bought your house they called this "guaranteed funds." I'd be leery of a personal check from some random from CL. However I'd take one in a second from anyone I knew from a forum.

On one of the Tacos we sold, I met the guy at a branch of the bank, as it turned out we both banked there. We literally just walked up to the teller, and he said "I want to give him $--.---" and they just magically made that happen- neither one of us had access to the other's account.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cash is king. I give them cash or title when they give me cash or title. But we haven't really dealt with vehicles valued much beyond $10K and none that had loan issues, so cash is manageable.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
5k?

Cash.

Period.
That's only 4 figures

Thanks guys, I'll look into it a little more. I have heard of problems of cashier's checks being no good too, so need to ponder this.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

I guess it depends on who issues the cashier's check, but from a bank or the USPS it should be basically as good as cash.

Don't mix up money orders with cashier's checks, one is issued on guaranteed funds the other isn't. For example when a bank issues a cashier's (or bank) check they are guaranteeing that it's good, so presumably the person giving it to you got it from his bank otherwise the bank would require the person to actually give them the funds in cash or after the clearing period when using an electronic transfer or check.

It would be shady if they accepted a credit card towards a cashier's check (and risky since the issuer is responsible to cover it) and it does still depend on the stability of the bank itself. If the bank (or USPS, hey, it could happen) goes belly up with you holding a cashier's check from them you get in line just like any other creditor. That would be the main risk I think. Mostly for me it's inconvenient, so I prefer to work with cash.

Money orders are not guaranteed, which is why King Soopers and anyone else can offer them. They are no better than a personal check in terms of reputation and no different than any other third party offering to write a check. Money orders in the era of PayPal really don't have much use IMHO.

There is another option, which is a certified check. This is still a personal check but the person goes to his bank and has them verify that there are sufficient funds and I believe segregates the funds. I suppose after a certain period if the check is not presented they may release the money back to the account holder, that would be something like 90 days or something. The reason someone might do this is to save the cashier's check fee, which is often not free. It might not be free to do a certified check but it would be less than a cashier's check.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 12-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

oops 5k ha! never was good at math!! Yeah you're right 5 figures is getting up there in cash but it is still workable. just turns into a pain to count.

I would be careful with a bank issued cashiers check even. if it is anything but cash I'd do the deal in the parking lot of the bank and walk the check in.

this is of course if you don't trust the person.

a close friend of mine sold his motorcycle to a guy, got paid with a bank issued cashiers check, took it to the bank only to find out it was fake. that was not a super fun day.
82 FJ40
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Counterfeit checks would be a tough one. I know what the ones my bank issues look like and have for security but not sure how you'd be able to tell in general. There's probably clues and for something like a car I'd probably go ahead and meet at the bank even if it wasn't super convenient. That 4Runner we sold was in the parking lot of the bank.