Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

I installed lever handles on the interior and all exterior and garage doors on the houses I built. All to Denver code. Knobs are not ADA compliant. You typically don't have to build single family homes to any ADA codes though.

The less expensive locksets I ordered online in bulk turned out to work more effectively than the premium and expensive triple latching front door lock.

Thieves rarely pick or break locks. They just kick in the door. To make that harder, you want 3" screws in the strike plate and at least one three inch screw in each hinge. Do not overtighten those screws though because if the builder did not install proper shims behind each hinge and the strike, you will affect the door operation.

I would think very carefully before having keyed cylinders on the inside. In an emergency, every second counts. Plus, if there is an intruder I want them to be able to get out. For steel security doors if you have a plate or tight mesh by the lock area then no one can reach around to open.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
My house was broken into in 1997, and the goobers tossed a rock through the door window and unlocked the deadbolt, to gain entry. I installed double-key deadbolts, and leave keys in them at all times when we're home, but remove and hide the keys when we leave the house. This way, the slimebags have to hustle all the stolen goods through a window, if they cannot leave through the door. Slows them down and makes it a lot more obvious. The use of double-key deadbolts does require that you incur more risk of, shall we say, an egress failure in an emergency. I also replaced my glass-fronted door with a fanlight window style that cannot be reached-through, if broken.
Makes sense but they just back up the truck in your garage and load in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The basement window is more about height and small kids being able to climb up to them than it is about the size of the opening itself.
Not by code. Code is minimum width, height, and net square opening depending on floor. The idea is not that YOU can fit through, but that a fireman with an air tank and all the gear can get in and carry your butt out if need be! But, to your original point, there is also a height maximum above the floor for kids and short people.

And to Inuk's point, in this sad world we live in, it's possible for a theif to break in, start a fire, and then sue you because he couldn't get out your front door to avoid burns all over his body. In that case, we just hope the jury is the no longer common, common sense type.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL