Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 09-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tim, well said on all points.

My wife loves our RTT, as well. I am slow to break camp, as most know and with having the RTT on top of the LC, I feel like I am always rushing to close everything back up. Plus, we have soo much crap stuffed into the LC when we go as a family. So it will be nice, when applicable, to set up camp and drive away with ease.

I have figured out a pretty fast way to mount it on our Gamavitti rack though, wratch-it wrench makes quick work of those tedious turns..

I wanted a pop-up but price wise could not swing what I wanted this year and also needed a utility trailer.

Stan for that changing room, I know what you mean, I have one but can't use when RTT is on the trailer. I pitch our stand up REI tent. Also the smaller RTTs don't fit the entire family, so Ben and I sleep in the tent and the girls get the RTT..

I don't think there is a one size fits all to these needs, kind of seems like needs change as Tim said, kids get older and you have more toys...

I am not sure about that hitch thing. Letting the trailer roll over vs. having it ride on one wheel till the feature is past seems better, of course that is assuming you are going super slow... I know Dave K mentioned his trailer did a complete 360 flip once and landed right side up. That would have been a sight to see.

Many of the expo trailers have the telescoping arms also, so you can raise the RTT/awning when you get there and lower when traveling.

One option is what Tim has done also but in a more aggressive trailer (i.e. lighter/higher clearance) Ruger Trailer is fabbing up a high clearance larger platform at his shop right now and when I saw it, I thought wow, you could buy an affordable used pop-up and drop it on this trailer. Steve makes them to any size. Might take some convincing though, he is very conservative about what he is willing to sell you in a rough platform.

Some day that might be my next move, I have wanted a hard sided or hybrid trailer for winter ski camping and can't afford what I like. Might be able to find something older and drop it on one of these trailers.

Expo Portal has a killer sub category for this stuff and a great photo thread of expo trailers..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 09-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

^ Great stuff fellas. We've been back and forth on what to do. I almost dropped $2k on a RTT last year, I'm glad I waited. It's not out of the question by any means, especially if I can pick up a used one at a decent price.

We kinda figured my wife and the twins in the RTT and Keagan and I in the tent or the back of the truck. I've got a Zodi shower system and a nice shower/bathroom shelter. That setup works pretty good.

There have been a few popups in the 3-5k range that look like they'd fit the bill. Add my shower setup and I think a three day outing with the kids is very doable.

I've been out with Jonathan Harris a bunch, his Adrenaline Trailer is the real deal and then some..... But at $20k for a new one, I could buy another 100 with a trailer attached, RTT on top, interior gutted for gear and have someone follow me around wherever I go.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jon's trailer is almost identical to my Kimberley

With small kids you will want a kitchen table and separate beds and some room to spread out to make the experience better. I really liked my Jayco Baja for what it was. It could do mild offroading and had plenty of room, plus you could stock the fridge and cupboards without poping the top, just opening the small door
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 09-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm in, so are we gonna do this right and cook and show off in the parking lot before hand or what?

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Mine is tucked away in the garage, getting it out takes a few minutes, putting it back by myself takes some time and not wanting to do that after a meeting at night.
Lame...

I'll buy you a nice cigar to crawl around in your Kimberly Ken!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Gotta love that Lock N Roll hitch!

Not sure I will be able to drag my beast out for this, but love the idea.. I run the modified popup setup, here's the "build thread" http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=17804

Stan my opinion is the younger the kids, and/or the worse the weather, than the better the popup gets. There's something about being able to just go inside & play games or cook mac & cheese or go to bed. Or being able to get up in the morning and hang out where it's warm & comfy. If we're going to be at the same place for 2+ nights, particularly if we want to bring a bunch of toys, we like the popup. One example is our daughter was 4 months old at Area BFE when Cruise Moab was there. I had a daily project of refreshing propane & batteries, but in the end she slept great every night in a warm pack & play with no blankets. I think it was low 20's at night, we had to scrape ice off the windshield to go wheel.

The best thing about any trailer is being able to unhook the darn thing. I wouldn't want to actually wheel one though, particularly one of any significant weight or length. But I'm ok with dragging it through hell if it means we get to set up at a sweet site for awhile. My bottom line is trailers are all about setting up & hanging out with conveniences of comfort, stereos, multiple cooking options, etc. and bringing a ton of crap with you. We love to camp this way sometimes- we bring bikes, motorcycles, Estes rockets, kites, RC cars, squirt guns, you name it.

I could see as the kids get older & the bikes get bigger converting our utility trailer to more like what Josh built up, i.e. the RTT on top of moto space. The really likes sleeping in the RTT, and I'm coming around to enjoying that style of camping as well (a lot more living out of the back of the truck, a lot less "moving in" to your camper or tent.)

As for RTTon the truck, it's a project to bolt the thing on and take it off again... plus there went all my roof rack space (no more Thule box for guitars, no more 10x10, etc.) However setup/tear down is a snap, and it's great for sleeping (not much else). My bottom line is RTT's are all about just getting through the night and on with your day, with a minimal amount of junk to move in transition. We love to camp like this too-

I've yet to experience a hybrid trailer/RTT, so maybe I'm missing out on the benefit? My naive opinion is I feel they combine the worst of each- all the joys of towing a trailer, with all the joys of not having a camper when you get there. But they sure look cool.. I'm not ruling it out and am open to the idea, look forward to seeing more about it next week! I could easily come around.
Bring it Tim! I want to see yours all popped up. Then we can trade for a weekend and know for sure which is best for our families (though I think I know already).

Trailers= you live around them. Pop up Campers= you live in them.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
I'm in, so are we gonna do this right and cook and show off in the parking lot before hand or what?
Awesome! You are the man! I'll fire up some Brauts in the parking lot fo sho!

What time should we roll up, 6pm?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Has anyone asked Stevenson what they think about us deploying our campers and cooking in their parking lot. Not sure I would be happy about it if I were them.

Showing up with them is one thing
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Has anyone asked Stevenson what they think about us deploying our campers and cooking in their parking lot. Not sure I would be happy about it if I were them.

Showing up with them is one thing
Yep I figured I would check with Scott and see if one of us could call Stevenson.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just hang a sign on the side of your romerplex that says "End of year SALE!"
They'll be fine
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL