Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Rain Gutter / Roof Question

Folks, The gasket between the roof and the "side panels" where the roof bolts there is a gasket which looks new. I didn't notice any leaking there, but almost as if the roof was sweating or soaking through from the outside gutter. If you have any experience on this and have an idea on what I would need to do I would appreciate it. I searched mud but not any clarity there.

My guess is I am going to need to sand the roof a little and apply some new type of paint? I don't have a FSM at the moment to see if all is right there. I did tighten the roof bolts / nuts down a tad.

This is on a 78 FJ-40 BTW.

Thanks
John

"Tractor in a Tux"

What Did the Five Fingers Say to the Face.....
Old 10-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Can you post a photo of the bottom of the gutter, from the top of the roof? Sometimes the UV has destroyed the factory caulk in the bottom of the gutter, and it leaks through the gutter metal and fiberglass. Sometimes, it leaks around the gutter edge and thru the 'new gasket' you mentioned. Have you checked the rooftop bolts inside the truck to see if they are tight?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the gutter, from the top of the roof? Sometimes the UV has destroyed the factory caulk in the bottom of the gutter, and it leaks through the gutter metal and fiberglass. Sometimes, it leaks around the gutter edge and thru the 'new gasket' you mentioned. Have you checked the rooftop bolts inside the truck to see if they are tight?
Rooftop bolts were tightened down and will need to take a photo of the gutter tomorrow. Ran out of time today due to work getting in the way

Photo's needed.
Pic of the Gutter from the top of the roof
Pic of the Gutter from inside the truck. Figured why not
Pic from the outside looking up at the gutter

"Tractor in a Tux"

Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Photos posted

Here is what I managed to get. I believe this is what you were asking to see.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

"Tractor in a Tux"

Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

To me, it appears that the factory sealer is mostly gone. You need a tube of 3M drip-chek, which is specifically designed for this application. You need to clean out all the old flaky material from the gutter before applying anything new, however. You have the typical mildew on the roof and in the gutter, too - so you might apply some bleach and water (50/50 or so) for a short time, and then rinse well.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
To me, it appears that the factory sealer is mostly gone. You need a tube of 3M drip-chek, which is specifically designed for this application. You need to clean out all the old flaky material from the gutter before applying anything new, however. You have the typical mildew on the roof and in the gutter, too - so you might apply some bleach and water (50/50 or so) for a short time, and then rinse well.
Worked like a charm. Roof is whiter than I would have ever thought. Off to get the drip-chek now. Thanks for the advice.

"Tractor in a Tux"