Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Is it just me? I just want to pay my taxes... why won't the state of Colorado allow me to?

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  108.8 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I would be wary of that swap with the presumption that your 80 uses the shank-style lugs, and your 45 rims likely has the conical style? Those shankers would bottom out before they held the rim tight to anything. Is there a reason you can't also use the 45's nuts?
I didn't know if I could steal enough 45/40 lug nuts to make a full set. I was able to find 24 so that is what I used just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
The stock 95-97 80 series lug nuts for the hub centric wheel have a taper to allow the use of steel wheels in an temporary time period. So, for your situation Mike I would think you would be OK. It is done this way as spares in some situations are steel. As for if the your cruiser will tip over with the use of small tires, that will be any one's guess.
That is exactly the info I needed. I was curious if that would work for a temp situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Another thing to consider is that most 80 series sold in 3rd world countries had steel wheels with the conical lug seats and conical lugs. You should be fine.
It appears to be fine. I put 200 miles on the steelies with the 45/40 lugs and re torqued them many times. For other 80 guys out there, the 45 had 16" rims. A stock 40 rim (15") will not clear the rotors on the 80. Interesting thought though... I CAN put the rims from the 25 on the 80 How cool would that be? An 80 with OEM baby moons!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Man, this helps me a lot! I have one of those!

"Stretch limousines having a wheel base of greater than 125 inches, and having non-disengagable all-wheel/four-wheel drive or non-disengagable traction control systems, all model years."
I was hoping you would catch that Did you also see that because it won't fit on the dyno, you get an N/A for NOx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Interesting how that whole "grams per mile" thing was never a requirement or parameter when our rigs were design, built and certified. But now the lawmakers of state of Colorado, have decided to usurp the original federal rules and standards that the automakers designed, built and sold their vehicles to and will instead impose new state rules with no regard to their constituents. This is kinda like the people's republik of kalifornia and their CARB.
There isn't a majority that is against it. If you ask anyone you know, they are not bothered by this in the slightest.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Why'd you have to pull the bumpers and rack and stuff off? Did something change on weight regulations? I may have missed that.
82 FJ40
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Why'd you have to pull the bumpers and rack and stuff off? Did something change on weight regulations? I may have missed that.
I was scared it wouldn't pass and needed all the help I could get.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I was scared it wouldn't pass and needed all the help I could get.
I was wondering the same thing. Gosh, I hope I don't have to do all that to pass when it is my turn. That seems like a bunch of work. How long does your emissions Pass last Mike?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Mike-
Have you ever thought about doing this? http://aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/ I've made a point to drive past them in the 40 so that (fingers crossed) I won't have to go and get tested next year.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Rising Sun member

Typical emissions on newer cars is every two years. But they only let the rapid screen count for one of those. So best case is you get 4 years without having to go to the station
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default exempt

Nice line there about "custom" not having to dyno. Define custom?

"Kit, custom or homemade cars, all model years"
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL