Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Paddle boarding

Any SUP fans in here?

I am a fish outta water in Denver, being a California kid. Part of my plan for buying the expo trailer was to free up the LC roof for paddle boards and surfboards.

I have seen the river surfing SUP boards but I am more interested in the bigger boards to just be able to get in the water and paddle when I can.

Also looks like there is an entire expedition line of paddle boards for multy day/month trips.

The last big issue of SUP had all the board companies listed. I don't know much about any of these.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

We brought all of our boards (SUP and surf) when we moved. I used to do a lot of long distance open water paddling. Tons o fun. If you'd like to borrow something, let me know. You're more than welcome to them.

My wife and I shared the SUP, 12' long and about 32" wide. Super stable. The girls would sit on the nose while I paddled them around.

I never got around to buying one but the best board I ever test rode was an open ocean board from Ohana. Really really fast once you dialed in your balance. It'd probably be super awesome out on a lake.

Let me know if you've got questions. I used to know a lot of the SoCal based shapers.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
We brought all of our boards (SUP and surf) when we moved. I used to do a lot of long distance open water paddling. Tons o fun. If you'd like to borrow something, let me know. You're more than welcome to them.

My wife and I shared the SUP, 12' long and about 32" wide. Super stable. The girls would sit on the nose while I paddled them around.

I never got around to buying one but the best board I ever test rode was an open ocean board from Ohana. Really really fast once you dialed in your balance. It'd probably be super awesome out on a lake.

Let me know if you've got questions. I used to know a lot of the SoCal based shapers.
Sounds good.

We didn't get to catch up at the meeting but that was one of my topics to ask you about.

I am liking the Boardworks SuperNatural 11'6". Found one for sub 700.00 but gotta go pick it up. My son is standing up on my Hobie 9'6" but it is narrow..

I could put my daughter on the nose, like you mentioned. I am going to need to get 2 though cause the wife will want her own.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Sounds good.

We didn't get to catch up at the meeting but that was one of my topics to ask you about.

I am liking the Boardworks SuperNatural 11'6". Found one for sub 700.00 but gotta go pick it up. My son is standing up on my Hobie 9'6" but it is narrow..

I could put my daughter on the nose, like you mentioned. I am going to need to get 2 though cause the wife will want her own.
Anything in the 26" range is going to be super tippy but fast. Once you get around 32 or 33" in width, you might as well be walking on water. That Boardworks will be perfect for cruising around a lake.

I don't know how much paddling your going to do but, paddles make more of difference than you might imagine. I've got a QuickBlade carbon that made a noticeable difference on speed and distance. You're welcome to try that too but it might be a tad long for you.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ha! Looking at that picture, I can see why you are a paddle boarding fan!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Have some that we share with our friends at Chatfield, keep them at the marina. It is nice to get done with work and head out to the lake with a cooler full of beer take the boat out and then paddle around in the no wake zone with a cold one. Back and shoulder surgery put a dampner on things this year but we still got out and I was able to paddle on the big board for a couple of hundred yards at a time till I needed a break..

Can't wait till next year, getting some smaller ones so we can travel with them and hopefully rrun some rivers. You have to get some they are total fun and relaxing, I love just laying on it tied up behind the the boat. Thirsty? just a tug on the rope and I ccan reach into the cooler for another cold one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Sean,

I also found a Boardworks Raven for a little less, it has a ding, which I don't care about, have repaired many dings over the years. The Raven is more for long excursions on lakes and reservoirs.

It is slightly narrower than the 11'6 Super natural but thicker. Wondering since we are land locked if I will be happier in the long run with this model vs. the Super Natural... Too many choices.. I can see I will want a quiver, in no time...

Edit: Pulled the trigger on this one.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 10-15-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Hey Sean,

I also found a Boardworks Raven for a little less, it has a ding, which I don't care about, have repaired many dings over the years. The Raven is more for long excursions on lakes and reservoirs.

It is slightly narrower than the 11'6 Super natural but thicker. Wondering since we are land locked if I will be happier in the long run with this model vs. the Super Natural... Too many choices.. I can see I will want a quiver, in no time...

Edit: Pulled the trigger on this one.
Nice. The hull designs work much like a boat. Longer and narrower is going to cover more distance more efficiently and faster than short and fat.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

So here is a pic.

I also picked this up for the wife and if I feel like a shorter board on occasion.. 10'6" Surftech Bamboo Generator.

Both were in the 55-60% off range and are virtually new with a few scratches and one ding on the Raven. The ding is on the top right and appears to be smaller than my wallet..

Was not really considering 2 at this time but for the price, had to do it. Sort of like buying a plane ticket way in advance, these will just not be available come spring when folks are thinking about getting back in the water.

The site is called Gear Trade and is run out of the Backcountry.com warehouse.

Gonna drive out to SLC for work next week and bring'em home!!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I also picked this up for the wife and if I feel like a shorter board on occasion.. 10'6" Surftech Bamboo Generator.
I won't tell anyone you bought that. You're secret is safe with me. However, I am under oath to firebomb any Surftech I see being used. I'm sorry in advance.

Dave Parmenter and Randy French are couple of "interesting" guys. Not very well liked in the board shaping community.

That being said, I'm just giving you a hard time. The board is going to be perfect for cruising around the lakes. We'll have to find some time to try and meet up next summer to paddle around. The girls would love it. It's been a long time.