Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Default 2010 4Runner Tranmission Fluid Change

I need a little help here, while I feel confident doing all maintenance on the 40, I generally leave the 4Runner to the dealership. It has 55k miles and they wanted to changes the dif and tranny fluids for $175. I thought that was outrageous as I just did the diffs on the 40 for about $50 of fluid. So, I told them I would do it myself. I've never drained or filled an automatic transmission, anyone have some tips? I have the RM, but it talks about temperature and different operations for filling. Can someone shed some light? Should I have let them do it and I stick to the diffs?

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Also, tranny filter? replace?

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

Old 10-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

It is pretty costly to do the tranny/diff fluids, cause the fluid is pretty expensive. I have been able to get them to do it for 120.00 at the dealership, with a coupon.

Robbie did it for me once and his price was very reasonable.

They recommend doing both the first time at 60k, then again at 120K and then not again until another 120k. I think.. It gets longer after the first 2 changes.

After 2008, FJCs and 4runners come stock with synthetic oil, should say that on the plug. Pretty much the same process I am guessing as your 40 for the rear diff. The fronts are kind harder, I think you have to remove the OEM skids.

If your runner is the off road version, I bet it has a breather up in the engine bay for the front diffs, so fording water is no big deal. After a few deep water crossings in the Delores, I changed my rear diff on my FJC, cause I had not done the rear diff breather yet. I thought for sure I had taken in water and when they changed it, it was perfect.

My point is just change the diff fluids when they recommend, regardless how much off road your doing. You also might want to do the rear diff breather, if the 2010s don't come with an elevated breather.

There is a great thread on how to do it in the FJC forum. I bet the same parts will work on your 2010, cause I think the FJC still shares the same rear diff with the 4runner.

Hope this helps.

Note: I just realized my comments are all on your diffs more than tranny stuff.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 10-13-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun member

Auto trannies retain fluid in the torque converter so you never get a full drain and flush unless you hook it up to one of the flushing machines. That's why to me it's worth it to have a shop/dealer do it. Some people are wary of doing the flush because they say it dislodges material that can get stuck elsewhere, but that has not been my experience (crossing fingers)
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've done the diffs and t-case on my FJC twice. Not a big deal but I did make a bit of a mess draining the front one. I used Mobile One 75w90 in all three. You'll need to get the bottle pump thingamajig as you won't have room to tilt the bottles up to pour the fluid in. I've never changed the AT fluid on my own as it seems more of pita than it's worth.

Jesse over at ATLR is super reasonable and a great guy to work with if you want to have someone else do it.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

And most of the newer ATs don't have a dip stick, so you won't be able to use that tube for refilling what you drained. I assume there is a full plug somewhere down there that you'll have to locate and pump in the fluid like with the diffs.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Here you go, DIY transmission flush and fill.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Guys, good information all! I think I"ll do the tcase and diffs myself but take the tranny to the dealership. That does sound like a pretty serious job.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

You may want to ask how much of the fluid is exchange out. If it how the dealership was doing it a while back, it is only about 4-5 qts, or just a drain and fill. If it is done similar to what is in the thread above, then 170 to do that many qts is a deal. Fluid prices have come down it looks like, but still at 12-15 $/qt(dealership could be higher, at one time it was like 30$/qt) and 13-14 qts(like in the thread above, which is a great description of a crude flush machine), the math says it does not add up on the price.
When I first got our runner with the the 750af tranny, they were recommending not to do a drain and fill ever. Now I will need to look and see on TIS what is the service interval. Toyota will recommend one thing and dealerships will recommend another to drum up business for the service department.
The new no dip stick tranny is a great tranny except for the pain in the A** what to drain and fill the tranny.
It is not like Chris's tranny at all.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Lifted

Groove Toyota uses machines that flush 16 quarts. BG flush machines. It flushed using the vehicles power to replace the same amount of fluid going in and out. I think Toyota still says the fluid is lifetime, though it looks black at 100k miles in most cases. Groove recommends the fluid changed at 100k miles. Some customers will request it sooner.

Fluid prices are way down now that you can get an aftermarket alternative. We use a Valvoline fluid for flushes now. I'm not sure on pricing/coupons.
94 pickup in a pile of parts