Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
You may want to ask how much of the fluid is exchange out. If it how the dealership was doing it a while back, it is only about 4-5 qts, or just a drain and fill. If it is done similar to what is in the thread above, then 170 to do that many qts is a deal. Fluid prices have come down it looks like, but still at 12-15 $/qt(dealership could be higher, at one time it was like 30$/qt) and 13-14 qts(like in the thread above, which is a great description of a crude flush machine), the math says it does not add up on the price.
When I first got our runner with the the 750af tranny, they were recommending not to do a drain and fill ever. Now I will need to look and see on TIS what is the service interval. Toyota will recommend one thing and dealerships will recommend another to drum up business for the service department.
The new no dip stick tranny is a great tranny except for the pain in the A** what to drain and fill the tranny.
It is not like Chris's tranny at all.
Thanks Robbie! I'm not sure if it was a drain and fill or a complete flush. I'll have to ask. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Groove Toyota uses machines that flush 16 quarts. BG flush machines. It flushed using the vehicles power to replace the same amount of fluid going in and out. I think Toyota still says the fluid is lifetime, though it looks black at 100k miles in most cases. Groove recommends the fluid changed at 100k miles. Some customers will request it sooner.

Fluid prices are way down now that you can get an aftermarket alternative. We use a Valvoline fluid for flushes now. I'm not sure on pricing/coupons.
Good to know!

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 10-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
You may want to ask how much of the fluid is exchange out. If it how the dealership was doing it a while back, it is only about 4-5 qts, or just a drain and fill. If it is done similar to what is in the thread above, then 170 to do that many qts is a deal. Fluid prices have come down it looks like, but still at 12-15 $/qt(dealership could be higher, at one time it was like 30$/qt) and 13-14 qts(like in the thread above, which is a great description of a crude flush machine), the math says it does not add up on the price.
When I first got our runner with the the 750af tranny, they were recommending not to do a drain and fill ever. Now I will need to look and see on TIS what is the service interval. Toyota will recommend one thing and dealerships will recommend another to drum up business for the service department.
The new no dip stick tranny is a great tranny except for the pain in the A** what to drain and fill the tranny.
It is not like Chris's tranny at all.
So, I talked to the maintenance tech today. I had my maintenance manual in front of me b/c I wanted to know what Toyota recommended to do (flush or just a drain/fill) Well, the only thing I ever saw was an inspection at 60k and never any drains/fills for the entire schedule up to 120k! So, of course I ask him why and he says usually Toyota recommends it at 100k but since we are in the mountains they recommend 60k. Even at 100k the manual just says inspect, never change. (Unless the inspection comes back bad I suppose) Anyone care to enlighten me? Should I Just ask for the inspection and go on, or get them to swap it? It was just a change, not a flush for $170.

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM

bump for some input?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Keeping in mind this is a group of anal-retentive car enthusiasts who typically over analyze and exceed maintenance recommendations, you could follow suit and do a drail/fill for piece of mind.

But practically speaking, unless you:

- tow something heavy behind your truck on a frequent basis
- wheel your truck VERY hard
- climb up and down steep hills on a frequent basis

I wouldn't be too worried about it before 100k miles, particularly to have the dealer to it for a lot of $$.

I overdo it with my ATF and diff fluids on my trucks, but that's because it's easy to drain and fill and the fluids are relatively cheap.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Rock Stacker

That trans uses the WS fluid, so there are only a few options for compatible fluid (amsoil makes one). Also I am pretty sure that there is no filter, only a screen.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

I changed the 'WS' synth. fluid in my '08 Sienna this year at 100K miles. I used genuine Toyota fluid. Thankfully, it still has a dipstick. A Toyota tech cautioned me that the fluid expands a lot when hot, so it's best to measure what you drained and replace that exact amount.

The fluid I drained was much darker than the new fluid, but changing it resulted in no change in performance. I may only do this once in the life of the van. I did not flush - I simply pulled the pan plug, drained it, and replaced. I used this same technique on my FZJ-80 until 200K when I sold it, and the transmission still shifted fine. I wouldn't bother with a full system exchange unless there was a significant reason to do so. Also, I would do nothing before 100K.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Over at Slee they have a fluid exchange machine. Same at the Toy Shop. Not a flush. As others have noted, the tranny pump itself does the pumping so its not a "power flush" that can dislodge gunk that later will cause trouble.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Okay, so everyone says drain and fill at 100k. Why does the maintenance manual not say this as well? It just says check.