Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
If it were me, the alternator would be replaced, with OEM, and I'd feel good about it. Your batteries will thank you.
Alternator ordered from Toyota. Fusible link was $70 bucks, ouch!

'85 FJ60
Old 10-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Martin, your price for fusible links prompted me to check onlinetoyotaparts.com prices for other parts and I see my advice on alt replacement may not be all that accurate. Going from personal experience of my 62 doesn't translate to your 60's electrical needs. I should have realized something was different when you quoted a price of $100 for an alt, as the 62's is near twice that amount. Your system uses an external voltage regulator while the 62's is internal. It could well be that your truck's regulator is the culprit and not the alternator so I apologize for not knowing fully whereof I speak. Further testing with FJ60 FSM directions is advised!!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

http://tinyurl.com/mmcq7uy
This is a link to a downloadable 60 Series FSM, if needed, with the charging system included.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Steve. I have an FSM and I looked it over briefly and was thinking I might be in over my head trying to do some of those tests as I don't have all the needed equipment, but we'll see. If it turns out to be the regulator, I can always cancel the alternator order. Might pull it and take a trip down to D and D Auto Electric in Wheat Ridge and see what he says.

'85 FJ60
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Martin, your price for fusible links prompted me to check onlinetoyotaparts.com prices for other parts and I see my advice on alt replacement may not be all that accurate. Going from personal experience of my 62 doesn't translate to your 60's electrical needs. I should have realized something was different when you quoted a price of $100 for an alt, as the 62's is near twice that amount. Your system uses an external voltage regulator while the 62's is internal. It could well be that your truck's regulator is the culprit and not the alternator so I apologize for not knowing fully whereof I speak. Further testing with FJ60 FSM directions is advised!!
Crash, you've got me curious. When you say internal vs external I think of the 40s with the VR on the firewall. The 60s (and my 40) have the VR on the alternator itself. Is that what you are saying is internal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Thanks Steve. I have an FSM and I looked it over briefly and was thinking I might be in over my head trying to do some of those tests as I don't have all the needed equipment, but we'll see. If it turns out to be the regulator, I can always cancel the alternator order. Might pull it and take a trip down to D and D Auto Electric in Wheat Ridge and see what he says.

Did you order the alt with the VR? It is closer to $200 with a new VR and new alt. This thread might help. http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ternators.html

Good luck!

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post

Did you order the alt with the VR? It is closer to $200 with a new VR and new alt. This thread might help. http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ternators.html

Good luck!
I called Derrick at Stevinson (where I ordered the Alt) and he said that it comes with the VR. Price was $106.00. Supposed to come in tomorrow so we'll see. This is also a Reman unit, so maybe the $200 you're quoting is for new OEM?

'85 FJ60
Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post
Crash, you've got me curious. When you say internal vs external I think of the 40s with the VR on the firewall. The 60s (and my 40) have the VR on the alternator itself. Is that what you are saying is internal?

Good luck!
http://tinyurl.com/l6a84a9 This is a diagram from Stevinson's online parts website showing the alt and the internal voltage regulator for an FJ62. A similar diagram for an FJ60 can be see at the same site and the VR does mount externally on the alternator.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I called Derrick at Stevinson (where I ordered the Alt) and he said that it comes with the VR. Price was $106.00. Supposed to come in tomorrow so we'll see. This is also a Reman unit, so maybe the $200 you're quoting is for new OEM?
You're right, I was looking at my total price not taking the core charge into consideration.

Quote:
http://tinyurl.com/l6a84a9 This is a diagram from Stevinson's online parts website showing the alt and the internal voltage regulator for an FJ62. A similar diagram for an FJ60 can be see at the same site and the VR does mount externally on the alternator.
Crash, I see what you're saying. I guess it is just a vernacular preference. When you say external I just think of the firewall mounted VRs not the ones that are external on the alt itself. Good call.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

So, update on this...

Stevinson F'd up and told me that this reman unit came with the regulator. It came in today and sure enough, no regulator... Wasting my time. The regulator is an additional $60... Not in stock and won't be in until Thursday... So, another trip down the hill this week.

'85 FJ60
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default vanatta's in Boulder

I can't recommend Walter at Vanatta's in Boulder enough. Had one in stock and IIRC no where near that price. Robbie recommended this guy to me and he's great. (I know it's a haul to Boulder...but might be worth it.)

Also, be sure it's 'clocked' the right way, for some reason everytime I've gotten an alt, the VR is clocked toward the valve cover, not toward the PS fender.