Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Lifted

Red face Pre-surgery Impulse Moab Trip

So Monday, I'll be having a dual level cervical discectomy and fusion. I'll be laid up anywhere between 6 and 9 months, so I decided to head out to Moab over the weekend for a short camping and wheeling trip. We didn't really plan much, and decided to leave Friday night after my brother got off work. Ended up getting out of town around 730 and got to camp near Dewey Bridge about 130am on Saturday. We pretty much set up the tents and passed out, then we were up by about 7 when the sun was coming up.

Top of the World was just down the road, so we decided to hit that up since we'd never been there. I had heard maybe it got a little harder the last couple of years, but I didn't figure it would be as chunky as it ended up being. Being in my new daily driver 100 and still being used to my 40 on 37's, I was a bit nervous on some of the obstacles. The 100 was amazing. No scrapes minus some standard pin stripes. Got to the top and were overrun when a group of Jeeps parked all over the area right near the picture ledge. It looked like we kicked an ant hill, and most of them weren't friendly. I'm not a brand snob, but these were "those" kind of Jeeople. Anyway, we waited them out while we snapped some pictures and had some lunch. I got my Top of the World poser shot and as we were heading back down I saw a couple of different gen 4 Runners making their way up with a Jeep. Ended up being BourneID, so we talked for a couple of minutes before our group made our way back down the loop. Cool meeting a member on a random outing, and I really dug the Runner.

We hit Zax later that night for some pizza and then headed back to camp to have a fire and a couple of Estes Park Stinger Honey Wheats.

The next day, we decided to squeeze just a little more out of our trip and headed to Gold Bar Rim before we took off for home. We had my brother's Tacoma out there with my large 40 last year, and decided to go see what a difference the lift and tires made on his Tacoma. HUGE difference from last year. We didn't go all the way this time and decided to head back to pack up camp. I couldn't have asked for a better last minute trip before I'm laid up for a little while. It gets harder to leave Moab every time I visit. Post recovery, I'm going to try to stay there for 3 weeks or so. We'll see if I can get sick of it or not. Anyway, here are a few pics. We were trying to cram a lot in, so I didn't get a ton.

Look who we spotted filling up in Glenwood:

Headed up Top of the World:

My brother's son, Reggie, helping spot up the chunky hill:

Up top:

Had some planes fly in below us, but the video/photos were corrupted:

One of many versions of the TOTW poser shot:

Reggie isn't a fan of late nights and early mornings:

Back down:

Back at camp:

Headed back down 128 toward Moab:

Gold Bar:

Packing up camp:

Checking out the cave house near Dewey Bridge:

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I think I saw you drive right past our camp... we were literally just down the hill from you (judging by your pics). Were you next to the maroon VW bus? They had a killer site... actually my 4yo daughter spotted your 100.. did you see 2 other 100's & a Runner camped up to the right, after you descended that last little hill headed down towards the Dolores River? I had my RTT on... we were up that little spur at the bottom of the hill.

We saw BournID & Co. down by Dewey, getting ready to head up to Top of the World... Art & I were in his 100 (3 kids in back) we checked out part of Dome Plateau, then found the rock house... man we just missed you everywhere. next time we will coordinate a little better, but it was a little last minute for us as well, we were planning on being in Canyonlands.

I've never seen the desert that lush...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hope you have a fast recovery!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

great pictures! thanks for sharing and hopefully all goes well on the surgery and recovery!!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Lifted

I did see you guys! We went down to look at the river. We were at the second camp site between that gigantic RV and the MTB guys from Evergreen. I was surprised we even found a spot at that point, but everything worked out.

The best part about the recovery is that I'll have time to get both Cruisers ready for an epic 2014 without breaking anything in between. The 40 still needs sliders and I'd also like to throw a fuel cell in it, and the 100 is going to be kitted out with Slee bumpers, sliders, skids, RTT, drawers, etc... I'm fully aware of the consequences of combining cabin fever with the internet, but I've decided to just let whatever happens happen.

My goal is to hit Moab at least 3 times next year, and try to see as much of Colorado as I can. #YOLO

(hashtags feel gross, now I know. I won't be using those again)

- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome pics. I was just out there 3 weeks ago and can't wait to go back. I hope to catch Cruise Moab next spring.

Good luck with your speedy and full recovery.
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Great photos -- a few of those might be worth submitting to Romer's calendar thread.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great photos - a visual escape for us desk-bound slobs.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Perfect escape before surgery, can't beat Moab in the fall. I hope your surgery went well and your recovery smooth and quick. What level are you getting cut? One fusion and one Micro discectomy? is that correct? I had l4/l5 fused this past March and am doing pretty well. Wish my rig was running I would do the same thing as you did, getting my second knee replaced Monday the 21st, instead I will be splitting several cords of wood.

Very nice pictures and follow your PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Lifted

Monday is the big day. Discectomy is on c7 and the fusion is c5-6 and 6-7. So dual level. Everyone has nothing but great things to say about my particular surgeon. VERY OCD, sounds perfect. Also, he didn't just jump into it. We tried just about everything leading up to it. He also did say that I'll be able to continue doing just about everything I currently enjoy. Which is good. The only downside is that I'll be looking for a different line of work. Probably not a good idea to be wearing body armor everyday anymore. On the plus side, no more trips to the Middle East. So it's not all bad.

1999 UZJ100