Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Wincher

Default 09 Taco..problems with 4L

Ok..Took the Taco ( 2009 ) ( TRD Off Road ) out for it's first trip today on a snow run, Rock Creek and Bunce School Road.

I t will not go into 4 L unless I turn off the ignition, then it MIGHT go into 4 L
Then if it goes into 4 L , to get it out I have to turn the ignition off then back on, but not every time will it work.

I thought ok...being GREEN as a Taco owner so many bells and whistles, buttons, electrical gadgets I had air down to 20 PSI...I'm think REALLY, would the system think there is a problem and NOT allow the 4 L function..it's a stretch..but what do I know.

SO..Got home ( Longmont ) much warmer temps...tried it again..same problem..would NOT go into 4 L...then I aired up to 35 PSI.. I tried it..it went right into 4 L..but the Locker would not engage..the RED light just kept blinking..
I was ..but did not thinking let the air back out..see what happens..I did not .

HELP...
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Wincher

Well. the son come home he owns a 05 Taco...he got in it..kept playing with the buttons, took a hammer to the rear locker silinoid..twice..it all works now, I guess the owner before me hardly used the 4x4 stuff
Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's not that uncommon for e-actuated things like the rear locker to "stick" when not used much or at all. It can also require a bit of turning and torquing of the rear end to get it to lock in. But based on the hammer technique that seemed effective, I'm guessing it's just sticking a bit.

And since the 4Lo is actuated from the dial (instead of manually with a lever), it may be the same problem as above. Lack of use has caused it to get a bit sticky or dirty or corroded, and the actuating mechanism isn't engaging or disengaging smoothly.

I'd play around with it a bit on dirt roads and see if you can get it to "loosen up" a bit with some usage.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

What Matt said.

Also inspect the wiring at the connector. My 80's taken some abuse there and I have one wire that I'm gong to have to fix. Additionally some light wheel spin will get the locker to engage quicker.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Do you have to have the transmission in "N" to engage 4L via the dial?

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Wincher

I'm going to putting it into 4x4 ..Low..and locked several times over the next few weeks on dirt road near by to make sure all is loose and not sticky..then keep it up on a monthly bases..nothing worse than going wheeling with a group, and your STUFF don't work...and they are ALL Jeep guys..but I can take it and dish it out. ( Had 12 rigs on the trail Thursday ) 11-Jeeps..one Toyota..

----------------
They ( Jeep duds ) better be nice... I was the one saving them on the trail for 15 years.. It's all in fun...I'm closer to them then my own kin..
----------------
In need of something..call a Four Wheel Buddy...they will show up before family does..
-------------------
This spring I will drain change out all fluids.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I didn't realize you also had an elocker in the back. Nice! Make sure atrac is off and locker off before you go to 4 wheel low. I am thinking that it is a a, then B then C kind of relationship but I could be wrong.

I never had any issues with mine engaging, ever..

Did you try, stop rolling, put it into neutral and then go into 4 wheel low? Like Stan mentioned? I remember Toyota telling me that was not nessecary but I always did it.

It would not be the tires air pressure that is a coinky dink.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 PM

I haven't heard of problems getting into 4L, but it's pretty common for the solenoid to stick when trying to go from 2H to 4H. There are endless threads in the subject over at tacomaworld.com.

Mine was sticky when I first got the truck. Now I make a point to go into 4H at least a few times a month. No problems since doing this.
KEŘITH
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I didn't realize you also had an elocker in the back. Nice! Make sure atrac is off and locker off before you go to 4 wheel low. I am thinking that it is a a, then B then C kind of relationship but I could be wrong.

I never had any issues with mine engaging, ever..

Did you try, stop rolling, put it into neutral and then go into 4 wheel low? Like Stan mentioned? I remember Toyota telling me that was not nessecary but I always did it.

It would not be the tires air pressure that is a coinky dink.
That brings up another question...I believe my manual states that the ATRAC is dissembled when i shift into 4 Low. ??? seems odd, that's when I would need ATRAK ?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Wincher

Here is what my manual says.

The following will NOT operate when rear Differntial is locked.

ABS
Brake assist system
VSC ( don't know what this is )
TRAC
Down hill assist
Hill-start assist

Does not mention A-TRAC..which I was wrong.

--------------------
Read the Manual...VSC...I know what this is now... I want to be able to turn it off ..how...I was going up Hy 7 out of Lyons Thursday on clean dry pavement,,,went around a few corner a bit fast , the VSC kicked in..was a strange feeling...did not like it..how do I turn it off..

Last edited by Ray 2014; 01-17-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Typed question I found the answer for on my own