Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
It's so tightly fitted, I've been wondering if you'll be able to paint/weld it once it's all done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
fixed it for you
Crap, never thought about having to fully weld all the joints! Whatever will we do?

Honestly though, I can't give away all my fabrication secrets. If I did there wouldn't be a need for me or my business anymore.

J/K If you believe that load of crap, I got some great land to sell ya But I do firmly believe that being able to easily answer questions like this is one of the many reasons me and my business have been able to stay as busy as we do.

As for welding the cage fully, if I didn't, it wouldn't be a proper or even close to safe, cage. Never, and I mean never, think it is ok to skip welding any part of any joint when it comes to structural cages.

The tube work will be welded in certain areas, then disassembled into various larger pieces (rear spreaders, then B pillar, the A pillar complete with cross bars and center spreader, the floor bars will be the last pieces out), then the welding of the unreachable areas will take place. The different pieces will be coated in primer, then paint (except for the areas that will be effected by any welding still needed), then reinstalled, finished welded, and finished painted. The cage will not be able to be removed from the vehicle once it is fully welded, without cutting something apart.

Hope that this answers your questions.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

yeah wasn't saying you weren't going to weld it all just that it is not easy.

I am familiar with the type of work.
82 FJ40
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
yeah wasn't saying you weren't going to weld it all just that it is not easy.

I am familiar with the type of work.
Hmmm... My mistake then. I thought I answered your question of, "been wondering if you'll be able to weld it once it's all done?". To which I based my response.

The work is actually fairly easy. As easy as any tube work really. So I guess you mean that there are just more steps involved than say fabricating a cage for something without a top. Which you would be correct. But there really is not that many more steps.

Last edited by Brucker; 02-08-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:26 AM
Trail Ready

Crap. Went to update this thread and found that all the previously posted photo links are dead. So it needs to be redone.

Well, the good news is, after a LONG hiatus, the 4Runner is back in the shop to be completed. Plans have changed some but will fill you all in as the build progresses.

Bad news is, now with the thread needing to be redone, it might be a minute before any new updates. I will go back and start at the beginning of this thread and rebuild it. Should even have the first couple of posts redone tonight.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucker View Post
Crap. Went to update this thread and found that all the previously posted photo links are dead. So it needs to be redone.
Yes . I was just seeing this and was happily engaged and now it's like I lost the book.

Did the mini truck get the girl? Did they stop the bad guys?

Cool build
Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
Yes . I was just seeing this and was happily engaged and now it's like I lost the book.

Did the mini truck get the girl? Did they stop the bad guys?

Cool build
Thanks for the kind words.

I got the majority of the thread redone by fixing the broken links. Hope to find time to fix the last couple of post worth of links soon. And then I will move on to actually updating this thread!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Trail Ready

From here on out the ADHD will be strong in this thread as we finish out this 4Runner. Lots of time has passed since this was last worked on and some aspects have changed. But the final goal is close to the same. Unfortunately, I had a computer drive die and take some of the build photos with it. But onward we go.

There are a couple more cage tubes that need to be put in. Now we focus on a grab handle for the front passenger. We bent and notch a shorter section of small diameter tubing. Then tack welded it into position.

Then we moved our attention to the rear bumper mounts on the body. They will not be used any more and can be easily seen with the new bumper and are therefore an eyesore so they will be removed.

Last edited by Brucker; 03-16-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 AM
Trail Ready

Having the rear bumper removed afforded us the opportunity to clean off all the surface rust that had appeared and then get it painted. Photos of removing the bumper and just how much surface rust had gathered are a part of the missing photos, so you will just have to use your imagination.

Here is the freshly cleaned up bumper heading to get painted.

And with it coated:

We removed the rear axle and suspension after we added shock tabs to the axle. Then disassembled the rear axle and slid our axle jig inside of it and then welded everything solid. Then reassembled it with the new ARB'ed 5.29 geared third member. These photos are also missing. But here is a photo of the completed axle freshly painted.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Trail Ready

The front bumper still needs a couple of things, one of which has been bugging me for a while. And that area is the recessed light mounts. What I had thought would look decent in concept, just ended up looking wrong. But thatís custom work (and life, right?). Sometimes you hit a home run, and sometimes you strike out. I struck out in this case. So only thing to do is fixing it. The problem I had was that each pocket wasnít a square. The upper inner corner of each pocket protruded in some. I didnít think this would be as noticeable as it turned out to be when I was first putting this together and designing on the fly.

Here is a look at how it was:

So we clamp the bumper into the mill in order to remove the unwanted material.

And then re positioned the bumper to mill the opposite side:

Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Trail Ready

Start filling in the missing sections to make a true rectangle:

And with the lights being test fit: