Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Will you be fabbing up a plate-type rear bumper to go with the front, or is client keeping the tube-type on the back from earlier in the thread?
The rear bumper is staying put this time around. The plan is to build a custom one for the rear at a later date when funds allow. As mentioned earlier in the thread, we purchased the TG rear based off it's price compared to it's protection offered. Best bang for the buck. So he won't be out that much once it gets replaced. He would eventually like a custom rear that has a tire carrier, Hi Lift mount, and provisions for jerry cans and the like.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Lifted

The last pieces that we will add while the bumper is on the vehicle are the D ring (or shackle) mounts. Not only will they provide the obvious, they also will provide a LOT of strength and rigidity to the winch tray itself. We use our mill to cut the desired thru hole size.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...36013565_n.jpg

Smoke flare up once I reopened the coolant line (had it shut off to take a better photo):

You gotta love it when you get chips like this. Not only do you know the speeds and feeds are set right, you know there wasn't any chatter and cleanup is SO much easier.

The plates fresh out off the mill:

We didn't have the right tubing in stock for the next parts. So instead of ordering a whole stick of material and having to wait on it's delivery of next week, we decided to cut our own. We happened to have some thicker walled tubing of the same OD which we could easily modify. So we put a length into one of our lathes and went to work:

Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Lifted

With the tubing now having the correct ID, we pull it out of the lathe and part off the two pieces we need using a horizontal band saw so the lathe could get back to work on making the parts we had interrupted.

The left over section of tubing shows just how much material we needed to remove:

Then insert the tubing into the plates that were just made

And then welded them together

The hangers will be able to except the more common sizes of D rings in this industry, 5/8", 3/4", and 7/8" shackles

Now we are able to tack weld them into place

Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks great. I like it.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Looks great. I like it.
Thanks for the kind words
Old 12-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Lifted

The majority of the work left on the front bumper will be done with it off of the vehicle. With it removed and sitting of the fab table, you are able to see the inner support structure better.

Our focus turns towards making the mounting plates for the flush mount lighting from Rigid Industries. We have used their products on multiple builds now and they have yet to disappoint. Some of the best lighting, if not the best, you can buy. Here is a shot from an earlier build showing what one of their 50" light bars can do:

On this bumper we will be using a set of their Dually D2 driving lights. They won't pack quite the punch as the 50" above, but should produce more than enough illumination for our needs. Here is one fresh out of the package:

We make a set of mounting plates

Then bend up some round rod to use as spacers so the lights will be truly flush with the front face of the bumper

We make the final cuts to the plates and start to fit the rod

Once the rod is welded to the plates, we smooth the edges

Added cage nuts

And test fit them into place

We then clamp the bumper to the fab table and tack weld the mounting plates and front face plate into place

Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Beefy! I dig it.
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

LOVE the flush mounted light work. That is a killer idea.

BTW, I'm looking at some lighting options. would you mind posting up pics of these small guys when you get them all done, similar to the light bar? Just so we can see how far and bright they are. I really like the idea of small compact lights.

Cheers!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
Beefy! I dig it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
LOVE the flush mounted light work. That is a killer idea.
Thanks for the kind words
Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Lifted

With the bumper still clamped to the fab table, we cut another set of plates to be used as inner gusseting. These will be positioned along the front faces and the winch tray. It will give added support if/when we decide to put a hoop onto the bumper for extra winch and radiator protection.

The next steps would include finishing the backbone of the bumper. This will require a slight modification to what already exists. So we need to unclamp it from the fab table. After doing so, I decided to add in the caps for the angle iron pieces on the front face. So I cut the 4 pieces needed and tack welded them into place

Then made the slight modification to the existing backbone structure. Before:

After:

Then bent up some round rod to finish out the top of the front face. Once fully welded into place and getting smoothed out, it will not only add strength, but a clean, finished look of a rolled edge. Here is the rod tack welded into position

After the addition of the new pieces, we are ready to to start on the backbone once again. We once again clamp the bumper to the fab table