Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
any mig can run stainless. there are even flux core stainless consumables for you to use if you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
aluminum is one giant pain if you ask me. It takes a lot of amps, and cleanliness borders on fanatical - all that for tig -

For mig, you would need a spool gun, which makes life easy, but is costly for the home user unless you have a lot to do, plus only the pro-sumer boxes will accept them. Cleanliness is still important, but not as much so.

I would mig stainless all day if I could. virtually no difference in technique and such from mild steel. PS - the heat bluing comes off chemically, no need to sand it.
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but any chance you could expand on the flux core mig wire topic a bit? I recently replaced my exhaust with a borla/magnaflow hybrid and I think the resonator in the system is junk. (Made out of T-304 stainless). I had considered buying a new one and taking it to a shop to have put in, but if its possible to weld stainless with a mig welder, that intrigues me! I have a smaller 120v lincoln promig 140, but no gas for it. If a company sold flux wire for stainless in a small enough spool that may be an option!

Edit, I did find this but thats awfully thick wire for exhaust tubing. http://www.usaweld.com/Flux-Cored-30...fc-0-035-1.htm
Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Thanks for the offer, this is going to be a slow process and then all of a sudden it will be "hurry up we are running out of time!!"
Thats the way it always goes. I will be laid up next week for a while. Surgery! yuk. 4-6 weeks with no lifting. Then only 10lbs. So we have time. Offer is there if you need help.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

any decent welding store can sell you flux core stainless consumables. from stick to mig. There is an entire world of welding out there besides .30 er70s wire and 75/25 gas. Just do a little investigation, and it's out there. Remember though, flux core burns a lot hotter, and stainless has a very narrow working window for heat.

buy the miller slide rulers they sell for cheat sheets on process vs consumables, there the schnizit to have on your rack.

john (johnny) henley