Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 5VZFE question

Anyone with a 5VZFE had the timing belt slip? If so, what were the symptoms?

My dad has a 4runner and just had the timing belt done and it was running fine then suddenly made a noise, started running badly, missing, etc. He took it to the shop that did the belt and they said no compression on #1. My guess was the belt failed, but the compression thing has me confused.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun Commander

if the timing is off, then the exhaust valves could be opening up too early? But why would that just be on one cylinder. Just a guess obviously.

On one of the Tacos we owned when I had the timing belt done the shop said my old one was off by a tooth. I didn't notice a difference though, after they corrected that.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
if the timing is off, then the exhaust valves could be opening up too early? But why would that just be on one cylinder. Just a guess obviously.

On one of the Tacos we owned when I had the timing belt done the shop said my old one was off by a tooth. I didn't notice a difference though, after they corrected that.
^ That'd be my guess on the compression. Robbie, Squishy or thefatkid will hopefully chime in.

I'd guess they mucked up the tensioner. Never had that happen in any of the 5vz trucks (fam has 4 of them). Did they do anything else while they were in there?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

All the shop needs to do is remove the plastic covers to see if the cam's are timed right. Should not be a real big thing. If the cams are not timed right, they would of found the problem. Wonder why they made the choice to check compression? seems like a waste of time, unless they already pulled the plastic covers to inspect the cam timing.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
All the shop needs to do is remove the plastic covers to see if the cam's are timed right. Should not be a real big thing. If the cams are not timed right, they would of found the problem. Wonder why they made the choice to check compression? seems like a waste of time, unless they already pulled the plastic covers to inspect the cam timing.
Yeah, not sure why they checked the compression either, which made me suspicious. I told him to call back and confirm they checked the timing belt. I also said it might be worth taking it to another shop. (He's in Michigan).

Would the timing belt failing or slipping cause a compression issue?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Yeah, not sure why they checked the compression either, which made me suspicious. I told him to call back and confirm they checked the timing belt. I also said it might be worth taking it to another shop. (He's in Michigan).

Would the timing belt failing or slipping cause a compression issue?
Yes. If the cam timing is wrong the valves are opening at the wrong time in the cycle and yields low or zero compression. Not sure checking the compression is any easier than just inspecting the timing belt on a 5VZ, but it's a valid check for a slipped belt or chain. If the mechanic works on lots of brands he may not be super familiar with the 5VZ, though, and sometimes a compression check is actually easier. If it broke the engine wouldn't run at all, I'd guess Isaac is probably right about the tensioner if all that was done was a belt and maybe water pump.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

So, the shop pulled the oil pan and the #1 rod is broken... Engine is toast and it only has 92,000 miles on it. I feel like such a chump because I talked my dad into buying this thing and raved about how reliable these 3.4's are.... His first Toyota (and his last I'm sure).

Anyone have a good 3.4 for sale?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, that's not encouraging to hear. Do you know any history on the engine?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Wow, that's not encouraging to hear. Do you know any history on the engine?
Not really. He bought it last year from a dealer. No warranty. I was skeptical of the low mileage but it looked pretty immaculate. Carfax seemed to corroborate the mileage.

If no one has a good 3.4, any suggestions/recommendation on where to get a rebuilt short block?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Broken connecting rod? that seems almost unheard of.. dang, sorry Martin. too bad he's not closer, he could borrow the 3.4 that's down the street for a bit while you sort this out

www.gamiviti.com