Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Anyone have the VR series Warn winch yet?

I've been scouring CL for a used winch for the LX, but not much out there. Been looking at the VR series winches from Warn. The VR10000 and VR12000 look quite appealing at half the price of the M-series. Kurt speaks pretty highly of the VR 10000, anyone here have one yet?

for as much as I've used my winch on the 60...not sure I need to get the biggest most expensive winch out there.

thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have a regular Warn winch that doesn't see much use and my $0.02 is that the VR is probably an OK winch. They are not completely made in Oregon like the M-series, but they are also not 100% off shore either. Warn isn't going to ever let you know how any of their winches are designed or made, since even a 100% USA-made winch isn't 100% USA-made. Parts are going to come from all over.

The real question (and why I stuck with a higher end) is that even though we are not power users like a crawler might be, the downside of having one fail is higher since walking is not ideal or maybe even an option at all when you're out exploring, especially solo. So I decided that if I was going to have a winch, it would be one that I trust will work after sitting out there for months. IOW, it's by virtue of the fact that it does /not/ get used much why I felt the need to trust that it would when it need to.

The paradox being a cheap winch that is loaded a bunch will start to exhibit symptoms, noisy, slow, whatever, in use that warns you of impending doom. So if I was to bolt on a cheap winch I would feel the need to test it more. That's probably something that we all should do but being a realist I know it doesn't. So spending the money I looked at as insurance in a way. I will not care that the M8000 would have cost $500 more than a VR8000 when a VR is melted down 100 miles from anywhere in a Wyoming snow drift. You can't escape decades of proven and known performance.

Plus you can rebuild an M-series a dozen times over and Warn will never stop making parts that allow you to do so. VR? Maybe. How about the Tabor they used to make? I dunno. I suppose the point is buy once, cry once. Or something like that. A $400 winch that fails you when you /really/ need it is $400 wasted but a $1,000 winch that works is worth every penny.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

We have a VR in Dad's 60. It's a fine winch, for occasional use I guess. It's slow, much slower than my M8000, but for a winch that Dad might use once in a decade, it makes sense.

I would certainly consider another one whenever I get around to putting a bumper and winch on my 60, because it would be pretty much only for emergency use, but if I had the choice--I'd go with an M series, or a Ramsey instead just for peace of mind. Besides, I keep finding uses for the winch on the faux-lux (the M8000), and I wouldn't do that with the VR just for fear of wearing it out.

But for an occasional use, so far it seems decent, just slow.

Dan
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

I have a Smittybilt XRC12, 12,000 Lb winch, new in box, and synthetic cable I've been considering getting rid of. The likelihood of me putting it on either of my trucks is unlikely.

Link: http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/Smitt..._pn=S%2fB97212
Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Lifted

I have the VR inside the Blueberry on my 100. Haven't HAD to use it yet, but it pulls. I think the only downside is that it's a little slower than the other Warns out there. I couldn't care less, especially for the price.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back
Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Its funny how a M8000 could be had for 500+/- new before the VR's appeared. But then its suddenly more expensive :roll eyes: Although currently its on Summit Racing for $549 after a rebate. There is also the new Zeon series which seems to fit somewhere in the middle?

I'd give Christo a call. I'm sure he has sold a number of VR's by now and has formed an educated opinion.

I also error on the side of the more expensive winch. I went down the budget road with a early T-Max. Had to rebuild it a couple times. Now parts are no longer available for the early models.

Found a used M12000 on craigslist. Paid $550. Have $750 total in it after a little refresh.

Then there is always this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181259766893...ewitem&vxp=mtr
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Lifted

I have the 9.5 XP-S on my 40, also. I'll have to have a winch-off.

1979 FJ40 - "The Phun Express" - Smurf blue
- 5.3 Vortec - 4L60E - Orion 4:1 -SOA front / 4-link rear - FJ60 axles - ARB's - 4.88's - 37's

1999 UZJ100
- factory locker/ARB front - 285/75r16 Duratracs - Slee 2.5" Heavy Kit - Slee Blueberry/Warn VR10000 - Slee tube sliders - EMS cat-back