Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Tundra Coils and Bilstein 5100's

So I'm thinking about putting Bilstein 5100's and Tundra TRD coils on the front of my '03 Tacoma to go along with the chevy springs I'm putting on in the rear.

Thought? Suggestions? Warnings? Comments?

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Its a good combo. I'd do it. I should have gone that route with my 4runner, but live and learn...

If you do go that route, please post up the PT#'s you used to get them from Toyota. There are a lot of different options, and its always great to hear first hand from people what their impressions are.

Cheers

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

So I ordered the Bilstein 5100's last night. And I scored a set of yellow/yellow-yellow/blue Tundra Coils from Stadium Auto Parts this afternoon. So unfortunately, I don't know what the Toyota Part numbers are...

Hopefully it won't be long until I can get them all put together and test them out.

TLCA #22468

Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 AM
Wincher

Send a message via Skype™ to callahanoffroad

I was going to say that ToyTec makes a kit for this and they are local.

720-316-0008

http://www.callahanoffroadandimports.com
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have never seen the tundra coils on Toytec's site. If they are offering them, that is awesome.

I have a kit from toytec, with the 5100's and some of their eibach springs. I would not recommend it at all. I have an ARB bull bar (heavy front bumper), and an 8k winch, and the truck rides like a brick. WAY worse than stock. That kit is the one that is comparable to the 5100's with tundra springs. With toytec, you have to get their ultimate coilovers in order to get the good ride and performance, which is a large price jump over these sort of set ups. The OME kits also provide a good ride, but for 4runners, they have a huge rake, which I wanted to avoid. Tacoma's work well though.

The tundra coils are supposed to provide a much more "caddy" type feel, which is why I am interested to see how Shotshell likes his.

Although, I'm not sure which ones Travis got, but hopefully we can sort it out via the colors. If memory serves, I think the ones that everyone recomended for the soft ride and good lift was a TRD model 2wd truck. I will likely switch over to these tundra coils at some point here, and ditch these crappy eibachs.

Generation Dead
Old 03-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

i have a set of stock 13 tundra suspension if you want to buy those struts for the springs. These are NOT trd.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
i have a set of stock 13 tundra suspension if you want to buy those struts for the springs. These are NOT trd.
I'm not sure these will work on 1st gen tacos. I *think* they cross over on 2nd gens though.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, the coils he needs are from a first gen tundra.

Generation Dead
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

So I spent 5 long exhausting hours installing these 5100's and Tundra coils. And it's all wrong. The truck sits lower now than it did before. It looks like it's nose diving. It's riding on the freaking bump stops and is making a weird groaning noise on every bump. I installed them on the lowest adjustment setting. I guess I should have known better. I don't know, I'm just pissed and frustrated.
So tomorrow (saturday) instead of getting to test out my new suspension…. I get to drive all the way back to Bailey, disassemble, adjust, and reassemble these stupid things. And hopefully it's going to give me the results I wanted. If not, I dunno what I'm going to do. I feel like I've been beating my head against a wall for weeks with this project.

TLCA #22468

Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
So I spent 5 long exhausting hours installing these 5100's and Tundra coils. And it's all wrong. The truck sits lower now than it did before. It looks like it's nose diving. It's riding on the freaking bump stops and is making a weird groaning noise on every bump. I installed them on the lowest adjustment setting. I guess I should have known better. I don't know, I'm just pissed and frustrated.

So tomorrow (saturday) instead of getting to test out my new suspension…. I get to drive all the way back to Bailey, disassemble, adjust, and reassemble these stupid things. And hopefully it's going to give me the results I wanted. If not, I dunno what I'm going to do. I feel like I've been beating my head against a wall for weeks with this project.

Frustrating, I know, but you'll get it. Thinking back on my FJ40 build, there wasn't one thing (including the lug nuts) that worked out without issue the first time. Fabrication & modification throw a lot of curve balls and are very time consuming. I stopped counting the weeks, or years, long ago. Now I count knuckle scars & take pride that I built it!
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner