Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Check Engine Light On -Opinions Please

03, 100 Series, 146,000
On my way back from Kansas yesterday, my check engine light came on along with the VSC Trac light and VSC Off light. All fluids were good and no ploblems with performance. Drove home the remaining 200 miles. After unloading, I started it up and the check engine light was still on but not the VSC lights. It was not until I pushed the brake is when the VSC light illuminated. There is a "click" sound under the shifter every time I push the brake in park. No sound once the tranny is engaged. The click sound is like two pieces of plastic snapping against each other. I'm sure this is related to the check engine/VSC lights.

Any ideas before I start trouble shooting? Thanks. Doug
Old 12-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Disregard my silly comment above regarding the click sound...that has nothing to do with it. The scan show code P0420, "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". Looks like I need O2 sensors or possibly a cat. I typically go with OEM for these type of parts. Let me know if there is an equivalent brand that you would recommend.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Personally I would clear it and wait for it to come back. I've had fluke p0420's before. You can also check the temp of the cat (I can't remember what it should be) with a laser temp gauge and/or borrow someone's scan tool to look at you O2 sweep.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Rock Auto has Denso and NTK o2 sensors for reasonable prices. The Denso sensors are made here in the USA, instead of Japan, but I would not think that would create a problem.
You have 4 sensors, Typically the ones in front are the culprits. If you want to make sure, have a shop(or club member with a reader) hook up a reader and read the sensors out puts first. Check to make sure the cats are heating up as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

My '95 FZJ had P0420 for years - it would appear every 6 mo. and is triggered by driving at moderate speeds for a certain period of time. I turned off the light (every 6 mo.), as my gas mileage was good and the truck ran fine. You can dump a huge bucket of cash into converters and oxygen sensors trying to fix this - make sure it's a real problem first.