Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Front axle rebuild time: FZJ80

Time to do my front axle rebuild. I just ordered the kit from Cruiser Dan, including the wheel bearings. Just in time for Labor Day weekend.

Ken, can I borrow your 54mm hubnut socket, snapring pliers, and brass drift? I have the rest of the tools on your list. I may go ahead and buy the '96 FSM, depending on the cost. I'd like to have a brass drift too, if I knew where to buy one -- can I get it at Sears?

Has anyone done the 100-series brakes? Just curious how much of an improvement this was.

This may be an amazingly stupid question, but is MolyGrease hard to find?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt,
You can borrow my stuff. I bought the drift at Harbor freight. I have done the 100 series brakes. It's suppose to wear better and longer, not sure you can feel any difference.

The FSM is a must have in my opinion, but you could come copy that section in the short term.

I would recommend you call Dan back and order front Rotors as well. You will have it all torn down and only have to do a few extra bolts to get at the rotors, unless they are new. Rear rotors are easy, front rotors require going all the way to the inner bearing/spindle. Only thing not done on the rotor job is the knuckle/birf.

Lock the diff before you pull the axle out, that will make it easier to get back in.

Moly is easy to find in the tubes at any part store.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

My only tech tip....

Don't try and get the last bit of grease out of the tube with your finger. That little metal lid is a sharp sob
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Matt, read Romer's FAQ on mud, it's very well done and comprehensive. You don't need to lock the locker though, that's just on the back. And I use a brass hammer instead of the drift for the cone washers. Gotta get a drift though if you plan on pounding races, unless you can use someone's press? I'll be around all weekend, give me a call if you get stuck on something. Can borrow the FSM if you want, but again all the important stuff is scanned and uploaded on mud.

I got my molygrease at AutoZone.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Rotors, huh? How much will those cost me? Will it be lots less than these:
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces....htm#dbarotors
for $109 each? I think that what Uncle Ben is running. Uncle Ben, did these increase your stopping power? Anything to increase stopping power is a good thing: my 80 is getting heavier by the minute.

Romer, I'm guessing that you put the 100 series pads on when you replaced the rotors? I've heard that these should be done at the same time.

Snap Ring pliers - do I need to buy these?
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

There are as many opinions about slotted/drilled as there are holes in the rotors, maybe more. Here's mine: I have them, they stop great, don't get them. The second weekend of May each year is when I remove all 4 tires, then drill out red dirt from all those little holes.

Instead of snap-ring pliers I use a small needlenose, where I ground down flats on the outside of the tips. 60wag taught me that, works really well. Just stick it in, then separate.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have snap ring pliers and I would buy Toyota Rotors. They will be less than those, don't recall how much though.

I disagree with Tim and advise locking the locker. You probably don't need it, but it doesn't hurt anything and there are a few who have had a problem because they did not.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
I have snap ring pliers and I would buy Toyota Rotors. They will be less than those, don't recall how much though.

I disagree with Tim and advise locking the locker. You probably don't need it, but it doesn't hurt anything and there are a few who have had a problem because they did not.
I concur with Nak....love my slotted/drilled rotors! Stops on a dime with 3 cents change! No pulsating peddle so far even the way I drive! I also have 100 series pads in the front. Locking the locker would have no benefit as either the splines are lined up or they are not and either case a slight rotation of the driveshaft will line it up! Oh and of course I suggest patronizing your local supporting Toy dealers!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

only $15... I love this tool. for 15 I wouldn't mess around making a set.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
TLCA#4180
Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
I concur with Nak....love my slotted/drilled rotors! Stops on a dime with 3 cents change! No pulsating peddle so far even the way I drive! I also have 100 series pads in the front.
So if you had to do it again, you'd stick with the Toyota rotors too?