Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Backup camera / Nav or stereo

I'm considering a new head unit that will support a backup camera for my wife's '08 Sienna (double-DIN opening).

Crutchfield has a Jensen head unit for $219 and the cameras are <$100. I already have a cheaper Garmin, and only their high-end units support backup cameras, and a head unit for the stereo solves the 'where to put the display' problem. I think a wired camera would give the best image, based on what I've seen from wireless ones.

Any suggestions on something that someone here has used and liked? I really don't want to spend $600 on this solution, if possible.

Thanks! - Steve
Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

So the Jensen head unit you're eyeballing does not support a backup camera? I added one to my 80 using a Kenwood head unit and a wired camera that displays on the screen of the head unit - but yes the unit was $600+ with the Nav feature.

I wanted Nav on mine so I paid a premium for it, but I thought a good head unit without Nav was in the 300-400 range? Are the cheaper ones missing the option to plug in a backup camera?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Administrator

I just put one of these in my 80 and I love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X4...eer+AVH-X4500B

It supports Pioneer Appradio which enables the stereo to run apps that are installed on your phone including pandora, navigation, etc. To me that made a lot more sense that having some crappy hard coded UI in the head unit. Tech changes so fast, it's nice to have the burden on the phone instead of the stereo. It comes with handsfree mic for bluetooth calling and is ready for a backup camera, I got my camera off amazon too for about $15.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

Last edited by Kipper; 12-03-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: appradio link
Old 12-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Jensen is $219 and supports a backup camera. It's single-DIN but could likely be made to fit a double-DIN Sienna if you used a storage box underneath.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VM91...17#q-and-a-tab

I should have clarified that I don't want to run apps, iTunes, Nav., etc. - we pretty much want a working CD player (the Sienna's integral changer scratched a few disks) and a backup camera. My idea of high-end audio is something like: AM *and* FM.

I guess I could be the guinea pig and see if a $219 unit + an inexpensive Amazon backup camera could work.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Steve, from what you described as your needs, I think you are right on target. The Jensen is a decent piece and a great price. In the same price range you could also look at Soundtream. They have some nice reasonably priced units and a some unique offerings too.
My last suggestion would be to grab a couple hundred and hit the flea market. The last few systems I've done, including my 40, came from 'the outdoor mall'! I negotiated the price on everything too...and no shipping charges or delays either.

Oh, and wireless back up cameras.....don't waste the money. Go thru the hassle of a wired unit, you'll be glad you did!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToy View Post
Oh, and wireless back up cameras.....don't waste the money. Go thru the hassle of a wired unit, you'll be glad you did!
Hi Steve, I will echo this comment. I put wireless backup camera in my tundra and took it out after a month. Not worth the time or money. I am running a medium grade pioneer head unit with a wired backup camera now and it works great. I think I have about 500 in it.

Kevin