Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default FS: Yaesu FT-817ND

Selling my Yaesu FT-817ND

Radio is basically just stock, fairly little use. Bought it 5/8/2010 from HRO and I'm the only owner. Have the original box, all the original stuff that came with it (manual, sticker, Yaesu world map, BNC antenna, mic, etc.). The internal battery is in good shape, holds a charge well. I have a handy little Worldpouch carrying case for it. It has the AA battery holder.

I really hate to sell this one, but just could use the money more than the radio at this point. Such a neat little rig.

Asking $500

I have a 2KHz INRAD SSB filter that will fit in this (or a FT-857 & FT-897) that I could include for an extra $100. Might consider selling this separately as well.
Attached Images

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bump. Anyone interested?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

what's the battery life and range like?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

The internal battery is not huge. I typically get a weekend's worth of use on an overnight backpack trip, so figure about 4 hours of relatively low duty cycle. Maybe 20% or so TX to RX. For a week long trip I bring along a solar panel and maybe a small battery pack.

It's a 5W all mode, so on VHF and UHF FM it's like an HT. On higher efficiency modes on VHF and UHF it's all about height over terrain. On a mountain top it's 75 or 100 miles simplex and with a yagi you can sometimes hit the state's high points.

On HF it's all about the antenna, propagation and conditions. It'll do local 40m NVIS as well as any other rig, e.g. pretty reliably get most anyone in CO/WY/NE/KS/UT/NM. On DX bands 5W QRP can be challenging, but digital modes (Morse, RTTY, JT65) I've been able to as far as Australia, AK and a few distant corners of the lower 48. On phone (SSB) figure with regular conditions a few hundred miles is possible.

Remember this is a very small QRP radio that operates HF up to UHF. It covers 160m, 80/75m, 60m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, 6m, 2m, 70cm on AM, LSB, USB, FM and CW. It also receives broadcast AM and FM and all the SW bands in between our ham bands as well can receive CB. Thing is about the size of a large paperback book.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

good to know. filed away for future reference. wish i could take it off your hands.