Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontana View Post
First off, I wouldn't recommend that anyone attempt installing an electrical sub panel, if they don't have some prior experience.

That said, I would be glad to lend some design assistance and possibly help you with your install if Im able.

From your description, I can't really picture what you already have in place, perhaps you can post photos?

Cheers, and good luck!
Dave that would be great! I don't think it's a crazy task to under take, but I own a 40, so I'm willing to try anything at least once. What is your schedule like? We could meet over here at my place to whip up a plan over some s

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 12-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Wincher

Default Email sent...

...Adam, I sent an email regarding your request for help.

I'd be glad to lend assistance, but it may be difficult to make time to help install before the new year, but we can certainly get started with the design.

Cheers!

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm running into a similar project, but I'll be gutting the ENTIRE electrical system in my home, plus installing a large sub panel in the garage. I'll tell ya 220 scares the bejesus out of me. I will not be doing this without the assistance of my electrician coworker. Electrical is not something to be taken lightly and I find myself treating it like a loaded gun that's always pointed at me.

Good luck!

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Wincher

Default It's not the volts...

...but the amps that'll kill ya!

240 volt is really just two legs of 120 v until you cross or join them.

A little safety and good work practices and you should be good to go. Years ago I hired a gentleman who worked as "the electrical teacher" and his business model was teaching DIY'ers how to be safe while doing your own work.

With his teaching and guidance I replaced my entire service panel and all basement wiring while upgrading to a 200 Amp service. I did everything except the final hot connection from the meter hub to the main service lugs.

Since then I have taken several electrical classes including an NEC class, and I've installed several sub panels, and wired a few garage shops. It's neither hard nor particularly dangerous once you know what you are supposed to be doing.

Cheers!

Cheers.

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)

Last edited by Tramontana; 12-15-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM

Dave, thanks for the help! I'll touch base with you after the holidays! Justin, I'll keep that in mind, that is why I'm reaching out for advice.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Lifted

The 6 handle rule is still in the NEC. As far as DIY on a project of this type, with no experience, I'm somewhat in agreement with Tramo. However, it doesn't matter what we think because City and County of Denver will shut you down anyway if you're going to get a permit (I'm assuming you live in CCD). They have a requirement that homeowners who want to pull a permit must pass a basic electrical test to get the permit displaying they know what they are doing. I'm guessing if your experience is as limited as you indicate you won't pass that test.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good point about the competency test in Denver. I'd forgotten about that.

http://www.denvergov.org/development...5/Default.aspx

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler