Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Rock Stacker

Default 1970 FJ40 inherited

I recently inherited a 70 FJ40 from my dad's estate. It had been maintained reasonably well but had been sitting for the last 2 years on a farm. I'd like to get it running w/o investing a ton of $ and drive it a bit before deciding if I want to buy into a full restoration project.

I've got lots of questions but probably the most important one to answer is how to determine what engine parts to buy. It apparently has been retrofitted with a GM 350 of some vintage, it actually seems to run well but needs some bits and pieces replaced, and I have no idea what to tell the auto parts guys as far as make and model. Is it best to try and get the block number and look it up somehow?

Also is there a recommended online parts supplier? I will need things like throttle,choke cables and probably brake parts to start.

thx.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

The block number will tell you what the block came out of and a range of years, If the top was redone it may not be the same as the original

Fortunately, the 350 is pretty interchangeable and you can get the parts most anywhere. Easiest way is to take the part off and go to the parts store. Hard to give you a better answer without knowing which parts?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Pretty sure I saw you guys loading this up into a trailer on the side of Sante fe near sedalia?

2005 Silverado 2500hd Duramax (Efi Live, 450hp )
1972 Toyota FJ40 4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 06-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
The block number will tell you what the block came out of and a range of years, If the top was redone it may not be the same as the original

Fortunately, the 350 is pretty interchangeable and you can get the parts most anywhere. Easiest way is to take the part off and go to the parts store. Hard to give you a better answer without knowing which parts?
Makes sense. Mostly looking for misc. engine parts, eg air cleaner/filter, throttle/choke cable, thermostat, automatic choke thingy, etc.

thanks,

P
Old 06-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74fj40 View Post
Pretty sure I saw you guys loading this up into a trailer on the side of Sante fe near sedalia?
Not I, mine came from Sonoma CA, but I did trailer it. Had fun crossing the GG bridge with their automatic toll cameras, had to figure out which of 3 license plates it took a picture of between my truck, the trailer and the cruiser...
Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

That is a nice looking cruiser and something that you will remember your dad with for a long time. Best advice is see if you can get it running, driving, steering and braking straight. If you're not mechanically inclined I'd hit up a reputable shop to base line it for you. Robbie is a well known Cruiser mechanic in Boulder at Adventure Offroad.

Does it start or anything?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Rock Stacker

Yes we have had in the family for about 20 years, so definitely some sentimental value. It does actually start right up but needs minor stuff like a new fuel pump and thermostat. Probably crud in the gas tank as well. Not much rust just really dirty from the family of squirrels that were apparently living in it. Thanks for the pointer on the shop but I am actually located near Santa Cruz, CA. I just joined this forum as it seemed quite active and had useful info. Seems like most the landcruiser mechanics around here mostly do high end restoration work that costs $$

Thx for your reply
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Oh, then I'd try to find a local club. TLCA could be a good connection point too. I am sure that if you found some local cruiser heads they could come over and get you rolling for a few

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph View Post
Thanks for the pointer on the shop but I am actually located near Santa Cruz, CA....Seems like most the landcruiser mechanics around here mostly do high end restoration work that costs $$
Not too far from you are two shops that I would trust without issue:

Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA. Georg is awesome.
Mudrak Custom Cruisers in Sonoma. Gary is also awesome.

Dan
Old 06-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Rock Stacker

the guys at Mudrak maintained this cruiser for many years, but unfortunately they are now about 100 miles away from where the vehicle now lives. I was hoping for somebody in the San Jose area to minimize driving/trailering.

thx