Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Red face What did I break?

I don't post much here these days but I need Yota experts and that calls for RS advice. After getting through a nasty snow-filled/drifted low spot on a Yankee Hill run mentioned elsewhere I found I broke something. I suspect the front diff but I was wrong.

I'm guessing I blew my center diff or maybe I'll be lucky and find it's just the actuator. My truck is a 2005 4Runner Limited with a stock drivetrain which means my only locker is the CDL. While on the trail I got a lot of grinding from the front end which seemed to be the front diff but today I had time to check it out more thoroughly.

Now it behaves very differently than initially which is where I get confused. No more grinding, low gear engages and I have 4WD which I didn't during the recovery of my truck. The problem is that I have no gears engage unless I lock the CDL.

Any and all advice is appreciated. The good news is that I have a t-case with a bad actuator on hand.

TIA!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don't post much here these days but I need Yota experts and that calls for RS advice. After getting through a nasty snow-filled/drifted low spot on a Yankee Hill run mentioned elsewhere I found I broke something. I suspect the front diff but I was wrong.

I'm guessing I blew my center diff or maybe I'll be lucky and find it's just the actuator. My truck is a 2005 4Runner Limited with a stock drivetrain which means my only locker is the CDL. While on the trail I got a lot of grinding from the front end which seemed to be the front diff but today I had time to check it out more thoroughly.

Now it behaves very differently than initially which is where I get confused. No more grinding, low gear engages and I have 4WD which I didn't during the recovery of my truck. The problem is that I have no gears engage unless I lock the CDL.

Any and all advice is appreciated. The good news is that I have a t-case with a bad actuator on hand.

TIA!
Sounds like you snapped the hub that holds AWD mode. I have seen it a couple of times. You will have to tear down the t-case to inspect
94 pickup in a pile of parts
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Brian, that makes sense to me. Could be worse!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

too bad it wasn't the diff...my new locked one showed up today, so i'll have the old one for sale soon
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Easier to do too.