Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Angry Vandalism on Hell's Revenge trail

Jurassic age dinosaur tracks stolen from Moab trail, officials say
By Natalie Crofts
February 20th, 2014 @ 12:21pm

MOAB — A 190-million-year-old dinosaur track was reported stolen from a trail in Moab Wednesday, officials said.

The track was lifted out of Jurassic age Navajo sandstone in the Hell's Revenge area, according to the Bureau of Land Management. The missing track was noticed by a tour guide for Moab Cowboy Country Outdoor Adventures, who reported it to the BLM.

“You can’t assign a monetary value to it — they are priceless, they are one-of-a-kind, individual tracks that a dinosaur made 190-million years ago and they can’t be replaced once they’re gone and stolen," said BLM district paleontologist ReBecca Hunt-Foster. "(Theives) steal them scientifically from context, they steal them from the public from enjoying them and they steal them from all of us Americans who own them as federal property.”

Hunt-Foster said the incident is still under investigation, but that it appears the track block was lifted out. There are several other track blocks in the area.

They are priceless, they are one-of-a-kind, individual tracks that a dinosaur made 190-million years ago and they can't be replaced once they're gone and stolen. The tracks were located next to a popular off-roading area, she said.

“A lot of the guides will pull off and show people the dinosaur tracks that are there on the cliff side so all of the public can enjoy them and unfortunately one of these guides who is very familiar with the tracks recognized that one of the blocks had been stolen and reported it to us," Hunt-Foster said.

The person responsible for the theft could face fines and a potential jail sentence, she said.

"What a lot of people don’t understand or know is that these fossils are protected under federal law and so there are civil and criminal penalties associated with this theft," Hunt-Foster said.

She said the track block would have been difficult to carry because of its weight, but that the the spot is easy to access because it is on a designated jeep trail.

“People have often, unfortunately, been even parking on top of these things for years," Hunt-Foster said. "We’re in progress of trying to put up a barrier to keep people from parking on these tracks and to be more aware of them. The tracks are actually right on a cliff edge.”

The BLM does not currently have any leads in the investigation. Anyone who would like to report suspicious activity can call 435-259-2100.

Link to original story
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

I don't understand how people do this sort of stuff. It makes no sense to me.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

I hope they catch these bastards, and I hope they were hikers. Though that is a very long shot, and wouldn't be surprised if it causes an out cry to cut access to motor vehicles.

I understand why people do this: the vast majority of the population sucks. They are crappy people who don't care about anything or anyone else.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Unfortunately selfishness is a universal downfall. I hope they catch em too.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

I saw something similar over in one of the jeep forums last year. A guy had picked up a petrified tree and fossil. He was posting it up on the forum, like hey this was a great trip and look at the coffee table item I picked up.

Not pointing fingers at our Jeep brethren but it would be great if the BLM could put out a reward in the 4x4 forums and see if anything turns up.

Whom ever took it is going to want to either sell it or show it off, I hope they get caught and prosecuted. This is just more fuel for the greenies to close these areas up.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Some people are just yards. Moab seems to draw a much higher percentage than average.
2004 Starcraft 10RT