Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Culvert salvage project

Hey everybody, check out this request from the CCRD:
Quote:
Hey Martin and Matt,
I’ve got a possible project for the club that I thought I would present to you guys.

We(FS) have a huge(40’long x 12’wide x 8’ high) galvanized culvert up at Mizpah CG along Hwy. 40 that has been sitting there for awhile now. It is partially rusted through and not usable. CDot graciously removed it from the stream for us when it washed out last spring. We had quotes of thousands of dollars just to lift out of the stream for us so we are very thankful Cdot was willing to lift it out with their excavator. However, now we don’t have a good way or anyway really to move it as is. So I was wondering if the club might be willing to volunteer to take on the challenge of disassembling and hauling off in smaller pieces. I say ‘challenge’ because it will be a big job to take it apart. The sections are bolted together so it would be lots of nut and bolt work…and some bolts are likely rusted to the point of needing grinding or something to remove. The panels would be pretty heavy too, not sure exactly if the individual panels could be lifted by hand or how big they are?…
After disassembly, the club could do with the pieces as they wish…but I bet there would be a couple thousand pounds of metal? If the club doesn’t want the metal, we(FS) could handle the smaller pieces.
My understanding is that, since the pipe is galvanized, you cannot cut it in pieces with a torch. I guess there is some nasty chemicals or fumes?

If you want to discuss or take a look at it let me know. It is visible now, but I am thinking that the project would likely be a springtime deal since there is no real hurry to remove til then and why make it anymore difficult by adding in some snow and cold…If anyone is headed to Winter Park area, the pipe is near the blue green cabins along Hwy. 40 near Mizpah CG.
If you guys are not interested, no worries, I just thought I would hit you guys up first before I ask any of my other volunteers. I know this isn’t really a Adopt-a-road project but it would really help us out and might be an interesting challenge for your club. It will be very costly for the FS to pay to have it removed and that is the plan if I can’t find another way…Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Anybody interested?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like a fun project. I wonder if you could twist the bolts off with a 3/4" impact wrench and a bunch of compressors tied together?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Rising Sun member

I was thinking maybe battery powered sawzalls or perhaps a generator to provide power...and just forget about taking it apart bolt by bolt. Or, has anyone ever used a concrete saw and put a metal cutting blade on it?

Here is some more info:
Quote:
The FS would want some ‘on the scene’ oversight as well since it could be a potentially dangerous project with volunteers. But we can discuss how it would go if you guys want to take it on…Individuals would definitely need to be signed up as volunteers(separate from Adopt-a-Road) and we would need some safety discussions at the site so everyone knows what is going on…
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I agree, sounds fun. My inverter will easily power a 4" angle grinder... not the quietest of solutions, but would also be an option. Plus from the sounds of it, a piece of this could be the great start to that zombie shelter..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Rising Sun member

Here is some more:
Quote:
Its pretty heavy duty, not sure sawzalls would work or not? If they did work it would tear up the blades. Maybe on the rusty parts/underside?

It is oval shaped. You could drive a car though it…

We have two small generators that could be factored in…
We could probably even have our skid steer there to lift pieces onto a trailer to limit some of the heavy lifting or allow us to keep the sections bigger.

To remove the nuts and bolts, I think it might be necessary to have someone on the inside of the pipe to hold the nut? It has regular hex head bolts with nuts on the inside of the pipe(I think) I would guess the bolts/nuts are around 1 inch size, maybe larger? It may be a little exciting to remove some of the bolts because I would imagine there will be some tension on the panels where they might want to spring?

Not sure how big the panels are exactly but I would guess each is at least 4 feet wide and 6-8 feet long.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

I wonder how thick the metal is? My plasma will run off of 20A 120, but it will only cut an 1/8 I think. Maybe a little more. Would need an air source or N2 though. Anyway, not a real option, unless someone has a small IR trailer generator or some such, that they use for work and can borrow (big if). But one of those could easily run the plasma and the compressor, which would make VERY fast work of it.

That said, I think a sawzall (battery powered or corded) is the way to go. Tim, the inverter running a sawzall would be faster than the grinder, and I'd bet they have a similar load. That may be the way to go. Anyone have a small honda generator? Those would be better than the inverter.

I'd be willing to help out. That sounds kinda fun!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Oops, posted at the same time.

But they are wrong. I've cut 1/4" plate and 3/8 with my sawzall. It goes WAY faster than a grinder.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun member

Are there worries about plasma cutting galvanized like there is with welding it?
Rising Sun Bio
Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

My dad lives in Winter Park and I will be going up on Sunday for a xmas tree. I will take a picture of it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Lifted

I have a large truck and 16 ft trailer to help haul off the scrap.

Does anyone know if the local scrap yards will accept galvanized metal?

www.adventuretoolcompany.com

TLCA#22379

"Like" us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventureToolCompany