Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Compressor and CO2 Tests

I searched for information on which setup was better and now that I have all 4 I ran a test.

I am putting lockers in my 40, so rather than buy a compressor for the lockers and another for the tires, I bought the twin and mounted it under the seat in the cab

Note: after the initial test with the ARB twin I sold the CO2 tank and am selling the Puma setup and bought the ARB Kit in a box for the 100 series

The Configuration​

Tires are 34" Toyo MT's on my 100 series

used the same Staun deflater to air down to 18, verified with same gauge each time

Used same hose and inflater/gauge each time

I did not count the time I stopped airing up to check the pressure

Each air up was from 18-42 psi and in my driveway under the same weather conditions

For the ARB and Puma, I waited until the compressor had cycled off to start filling the tire

Results​

• Powertank 10lb tank and Regulator - 1 minute 16 seconds - Mounted in my 100 series
  • ARB Twin Compressor (No Air Tank) - 1 minute 55 seconds - Mounted in my 40 series
  • Puma withy 1.5 gal tank - 2 minutes 18 seconds - Stand alone hooked to my 100 series battery
  • ARB Twin Compressor Kit ( includes 1 gal tank) - 1 min 25 seconds
I was surprised the tank made the ARB Twin that much faster. I should note it reached 32psi at exactly 1min

Cost Considerations​

The Powertank is $510 and then about $10-$20 each fill up. Fast, but need to remember to keep it filled

The ARB Twin costs $500 for just the compressor. You have to buy the pump-up kit for tires and the manifold for lockers. Only the $30 pump up kit cost is relative to this, so $530 and never having to worry about filling up the tank

The Puma is less than $300 and some hard mount it in the truck and you never have to worry about filling up a tank

The ARB Twin Kit - $800

All 4 of these times are fast if you have ever used a smaller compressor to air up your tires which is closer to minutes to do what these did.
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

The Puma is a great value and setup for the money

The Powertank has the best time, but you have to fill the tank and every 5 years certify it

The ARB Twin kit has the best compressor times and is modular, you can use it between several vehicles if you own more than one

The ARB twin becomes the value/performance option if your going to install lockers and don't have a compressor for that

For my 100 series I had been using the Powertank and bought the Puma to install and replace the Powertank, but I used both for a year. Once I did the first test with the ARB Twin I bought the ARB Twin kit and sold my Powertank and am selling the Puma
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Trail Ready

Thanks for the thorough review. All those times seem pretty reasonable and quick. I have a Viair 88P which was around $80 I think, and it takes about 2 minutes to go from 22psi to 34psi on my truck with 285/75/16 Duratracs. It seems to lose some efficiency after 3 tire, so if you're filling up multiple trucks it's a little tired at the end (sorry for the pun). It also gets absurdly hot, so people have to be really careful picking it up to put it away. I like the ARB twin and will likely go that direction if I put a front locker in.

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

The ARB has come a long way. That will definitely be in my next rig. Thanks for the review.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

That ARB twin is way quick for an electric! I like that my CO2 setup is quickly interchangeable from one of my rigs to another, and that it cost about $100 with a group LCML buy. As noted, the downside of a CO2 setup is you gotta keep it filled. FWIW I have filled my 33x11 somethings x 4 tyres x 12 times from 17 PSI to 28 PSI so far in 2014 and still have liquid in there as a data point for those interested.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Trail Ready

Here's a pretty decent test from Overland Journal:

http://expeditionportal.com/overland...mpressor-test/

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

The ARB Twin is two of the ARB Compressors in that test put together for twice the CFM. Nice article, I remember reading that and there was another one online in a four wheeler magazine.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper