Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Wincher

Default Rear axle purging gear oil

Hopefully somebody has some insight on this...
I won a Nitro Offroad Diff cover for my 60 series at Cruise Moab, I put it on when I got back and refilled my rear axle with the appropriate amount of oil, just below the fill hole...or so I thought.

Now, it's purging gear oil out of the breather. A good amount, enough to wet the whole right leaf and bottom of the gas tank. Ive pull the breather tube off and cleaned it and checked function. All seems fine there.

Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Lifted

When I first got my 60 and drained and refilled the rear diff it did the exact same thing. The only thing I concluded was I didn't wait long enough, once filled, for the slight extra fluid I filled to drain out. Maybe I had less then an ounce extra in it, but boy did it gush like a fire hose out of the breather once it got heated. So, you may have just slightly too much fluid in it.

Good luck!

www.adventuretoolcompany.com

TLCA#22379

"Like" us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AdventureToolCompany
Old 05-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like its puking excess oil.

______
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

The vent is on the top of the axle tube. It would take a lot of extra oil to raise the level up to the vent tube - way more than you could squirt in the fill hole. Any chance the truck was parked at a pretty severe side angle that may have made the level high on the downhill side of the axle?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Wincher

The axle was filled on level ground, and I did not fill it until is overflowed. Per the shop manual, I filled until oil was slightly below the fill hole, but not overflowing. Im guessing with the new diff cover I have more oil capacity, but that shouldn't make it overflow.

Ill keep an eye on it my levels. I know its full so I shouldn't be worried about starving it at least.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Probably is just adjusting it's self. I occasionally see the same thing. The vent is on top but of course the oil is slung when running so it can definitely be expelled at the vent.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-