Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Rock Stacker

Default 80 Series Rebuilt Engine Options?

I've developed a small itch for an 80 series Land Cruiser. Specifically a '96 or '97.

If the engine was was tired out, what are the options for good rebuilt engines?

Secondly, what is the approximate cost including installation?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Are you looking to buy a new engine and drop it in? The nice thing about being in Colorado is having local resources to do the rebuild for you. Slee Off Road in Golden, Adventure Off Road in Boulder, Redline in the Springs area, plus others I'm forgetting...

So if you find a truck with a good body and the package you like, then you can utilize a local Land Cruiser mechanic to fix it up just how you want it.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quality full rebuild with OEM parts installed prepare yourself for $10K
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Quality full rebuild with OEM parts installed prepare yourself for $10K
Ouch.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jim - I am one of the few that has done it. Mostly. My HG went at 226,000. The bottom end of my rebuild is from a 170,000 mile donor and we did not rework it. Everything else was redone. I don't have the time right now to start typing the story, but we can and having the conversation here could be a good resource to others.

I also consulted many before choosing my course of action and in the end it was the first bit of advice/question/comment that rang the truest all the way through the project to the end: Its going to come down to a personal choice.

All in, and each situation will be different, I built 100% stock, used all OEM parts, did parts of the work myself, and I probably spent $6k.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Are you looking to buy a new engine and drop it in? The nice thing about being in Colorado is having local resources to do the rebuild for you. Slee Off Road in Golden, Adventure Off Road in Boulder, Redline in the Springs area, plus others I'm forgetting...

So if you find a truck with a good body and the package you like, then you can utilize a local Land Cruiser mechanic to fix it up just how you want it.
For common engines the prevailing opinion is that it's cheaper to go with a "remanufactured engine" from one of the outfits that specialize in that. This as opposed to having someone overhaul your engine.

Don't know how true that is or if reman 80 series engines are available or what sort of quality to expect in a reman engine.

A lot of them on the market have 200K on them and nothing lasts forever.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
All in, and each situation will be different, I built 100% stock, used all OEM parts, did parts of the work myself, and I probably spent $6k.
Excellent info, thanks. $6K is still a chunk of change.

I have a '79 FJ40 (bought it new) an '85 FJ60, an '89 Toyota truck and a '98 T4R. I've always used Toyota parts. Now I'm even having problems getting Toyota parts for the '89. That is part of the reason I'm toying with the idea of a "modern" vehicle like a 96 or 97 Land Cruiser.

I've got myself boxed in. I like older vehicles with some character. But I'm at the stage of life where I can do with a lot less drama when it comes to maintaining them.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Problem is the 80 series is getting old and I has far more under to hood to maintain than a much older truck. The number I threw out was for someone like Robbie to do all he work and rebuild the complete engine top to bottom. So kind of a worst case senario.

But if you want an 80 I'd shop for a well cared for unit and pay a little extra for it over buying a basket case hoping to rebuild on the cheap. Just my $.02
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd consider a V8 too if I was doing it again.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

You can get over 300K miles on these engines, with a head gasket fix along the way. I would think a top end job only (with a few extra things done "while you're in there") could be done for 3k. So, I would think if you wait you could find a later model with 150,000 miles and drive it another 150,000. Use good gas and adjust valves and keep an eye on the warning signs of a HG failure and you are set.

A V8 would sure be nice, though...so some of the 99 100 series land cruisers might be close to your price range, especially if you look at what the engine work could cost you on the 80?

I love my 80 series and I still think it is perfect for what I like to do. And I'm ready to go past 200k on the clock.
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094