Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default looking for computer program

can anyone recommend a good cheap program to turn multiple jpgs into a pdf file? i'm starting to scan all my old files and magazine articles into the computer and would like to convert them to pdf files.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Good and cheap usually don't equate to the same thing.

Good:
Adobe InDesign

Cheap:
Microsoft Publisher

I can help you get one of these if you decide these are right for this purpose. These are page layout programs which may be overkill in this case. There probably are programs for assembling individual scans into a single document.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

For sure doing it all in a layout program is best. Lets you set up the pages so that photos are sized, rotated and edited.

But another option for Windows, you can get Cute PDF and print files straight to PDF. There is a free version but I don't know the limitations, we ended up buying it because it's used for a business. None-the-less, it allows printing of several pages to a single PDF and this might work if you're scanning pages since you would not have to change the dimensions. IOW, taking a magazine page to a PDF page of the same size would require just scanning, cropping and printing all to the same size.

Mac OS X has this print to PDF feature built-in if you happen to be using it.

The quality is acceptable, you do all your editing on the photo side and don't have much control over the PDF quality. We have an aging version of Adobe CS that includes Acrobat Pro 9, so if you need PDFs edited and joined let me know.

BTW, you can use GIMP, which is free, if you don't have Photoshop and want something fairly close in function. IIRC it has a plug-in for removing the halftone and de-aliasing printed material.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

http://www.gimp.org/

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ige...how are you scanning them? My scanner has an output option directly to .pdf.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

my scanner is old and doesn't have a pdf option. also, i'm on xp, so no print to pdf option that i can find.

i don't need to edit at all, just want to convert the jpgs that make up one issue into one pdf file for each issue.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Windows does not have a print to PDF natively, you have to use the Cute PDF program I mentioned.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Would agree. It depends on what you want to do with it.

Home use , the 2 to 3 a year, publisher will work. More than that, I would go with in design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Good and cheap usually don't equate to the same thing.

Good:
Adobe InDesign

Cheap:
Microsoft Publisher

I can help you get one of these if you decide these are right for this purpose. These are page layout programs which may be overkill in this case. There probably are programs for assembling individual scans into a single document.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

powerpoint would to it but i am sure quality would suffer. just drag a bunch of pics into a slide and publish as .pdf
82 FJ40
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
powerpoint would to it but i am sure quality would suffer. just drag a bunch of pics into a slide and publish as .pdf
Seriously, please don't do this. PowerPoint for this purpose is like fixing your radiator with a claw hammer.

Ige, we have the world's most powerful scanner/printer/copier at my office. It will scan multiple pages directly into a single PDF file. If you are interested, we can schedule an after-work or weekend scanning party -- we could probably do a whole bunch of these in a short period of time.

Also, if we get you an older version of Adobe Acrobat, it will automatically allow you to print to PDF and combine single page PDFs into one larger PDF. I'm sure I can track down an older version if you like.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Seriously, please don't do this. PowerPoint for this purpose is like fixing your radiator with a claw hammer.

that made me laugh!
82 FJ40